180 tomorrow night... what to do?

So I need lunch in MK and I need a dinner outside of a park the night before. That was the night I was thinking of a monorail resort dinner.

I think I’ll go LTT for MK lunch. I think I’ll skip BOG, as I’m the only one that will enjoy the ambiance, although, I’m sure the boys would enjoy a cupcake. Still wrestling with the dinner.

I looked at Ohana and it looks like a buffet of some type, but it seems like finger food. Am I missing something?

Of course, our other option is to check out non-monorail resort restaurants. Maybe there’s something at Boardwalk or Yacht club? Or maybe AKL has something interesting. We are pretty much ‘American fare’ types, so DH and the kids probably wouldn’t eat something too exotic.

Oh, also, if I change my mind and want to just book a dessert at BOG (or anywhere), would I book the lunch or dinner, but just tell them I’m only ordering dessert when I walk in?

LTT is a solid lunch choice for MK. If you want desserts for BoG book lunch or dinner and you don’t need to do anything special. At lunch you’ll either pre-order or just order at the kiosk. At dinner a server will take your order. There is never any kind of minimum purchase required.

As for 'Ohana it is basically like a Brazilian churrascaria but with more stand asian american inspired fare. You get some appetizers and side dishes that your table shares. These are things like bread, chicken wings, noodles, salad, and veggies. Then you get your choice of meats as they walk around. I think they are currently offering chicken, shrimp, and steak. Then after the meats they deliver dessert to your table. So in a sense it’s like a buffet but it’s all served family style at your table. You are free to request more as you need it.

As for other options that are typical American food I’d avoid AKL, Boma is Amazing! but is inspired by lots of areas in Africa and is not your standard buffet. Boardwalk has Flying Fish, and several walk up windows and food carts.

Given the price of food at Disney I would highly suggest you check out the menu’s for some of the restaurants you’re considering. It sounds like you might have some troubles depending on just how “standard” you need the offerings to be. One good very Americanized standard is Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club resort. It’s a burger and ice cream diner that is delicious and couldn’t be any more standard fare lol.

1 Like

I was looking at Beaches and Cream, but was thinking of dessert. I’ll have to check that out for dinner, too. Hmm.

So the Ohana menu for dinner is deceiving, then? It mentions finger foods, but not much else.

Maybe you are thinking finger food because it says skewers? They are talking about the huge skewers that they walk around the restaurant with the meat on fresh off the fire. They stop at your table and if you want some or some more they cut a piece for you there at the table.

Also of note is that your family should be comfortable with pan-Asian flavors. I’m not sure just how traditional they want it to be, but you’ll get a lot of soy, teriyaki, stir fry, sweet and sour type flavors here.

Here’s an old review on the Disney food blog. Some of the food will have changed but it will give you an idea of how the process works.

1 Like

Yes, Outer1, that’s exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for setting me straight about the skewers and for the article. I’ll take another look at it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The AKL is probably not a good choice. Jiko and Sanaa are two of my favorite restaurants in WDW, but both tend toward the “exotic”.

It’s so hard to define “exotic” as it’s so subjective (it has to be pretty far out there for it to be “exotic” for me). AKL is an easy call due to the heavy African and Indian influences on the food there (even if those influences are sometimes so understated as to be almost not present), but it’s harder with others. For example, a pork chop served with a scoop of mashed potatoes and a scoop of mixed vegetables is about as “classic American” as you can get. But what if that pork chop was served with truffle mashed potatoes, roasted fennel, and topped with a tamarind-Riesling reduction? Certainly an “upscale” or “gourmet” preparation, but does that make it “exotic”? If you answer “yes” to this, I highly recommend looking at menus for any of the signature restaurants, as this is the type of preparations that you typically find.

2 Likes

Disney Springs is fun for everyone and has great choices for more american fare. TREX is fun, Hard Rock Cafe is cool, and House of Blues also hip. We LOVED BOG dinner, and had excellent food and service last Christmastime. We scored another reservation this Dec. As for Breakfast, MK is full of great fast breakfast - Main Street Bakery and last year we discovered Gaston’s Tavern - talk about BOYS - animal heads on the wall, and amazingly huge cinnamon rolls. Take the train around, then after breakfast you are set for 7DMT!! No reservations needed.

1 Like

Just for the record there is no Hard Rock Cafe at Disney Springs. That one is at Universal.

Oh yes, I totally forgot about Disney Springs. We’ll have a car, so getting there isn’t a problem. Thanks.

1 Like

You are so right - I meant Planet Hollywood!!

1 Like