Your During-Construction Stay at Caribbean Beach Resort

Thank you for sharing! We’re heading there for the first part of our split stay in November, sounds like despite construction everything is going as swimmingly as possible.

1 Like

Excellent post, thank you so much for sharing. We will be there in October and hope to be able to contribute for others too.

Thank you @JJT

1 Like

We have a stay in September. First time staying onsite and planning a split stay to really try different resorts. Booked the pirate standard view. Any suggestions for room request? We will have our own car if that helps. Not planning to eat at resort but will want a morning cup of coffee.

Thanks for sharing. It looks beautiful and the buildings are so pretty. I thought the food choices looked pretty good considering. Pity about the coffee - I wonder if the room coffee makers get hot enough? We will be there in September so I hope the mosquitoes aren’t!

1 Like

Looking at the new Disney map of CRB it appears that the road no longer circles the hotel, (See below)

How is this affecting the busses? Are they doubling back?

1 Like

Great write-up. Thanks very much for this @JJT. Pity about the coffee.

1 Like

The bus route has changed, The first stop is now Martinique, then Port Royale, the Trinidads, and on around to Jamaica and Aruba.

2 Likes

Thank you, that information will allow me to search for a different room.

Hey there,

We’re staying at CARIBBEAN BEACH RESORT in September (2017) on a bounceback offer we made last year (2016) before we knew about the construction. So we’re getting the free $75/day Disney bucks (yay!) but really unsure about some of the challenges we are going to encounter (boo!)

I had planned to bring very few clothes and do a load of wash mid-trip, but now I’m wondering if there is even access to the washers / dryers at CBR at all. Wanted to put in a load, sit in a hammock or pool side, then go to the park(s) in the evening.

Does anyone know if the washers / dryers will be available for use at CBR?

I’ll be following this thread, and can/will report back after our September trip. Yay! 30 days from today, I can’t wait!

2 Likes

Hi … We’re going to be there around the same time … The 8th through 16th. I am hearing that laundry facilities will be available as usual, near the quiet pools in each island. The only major change is the closing of the main restaurant and shops in Port Royale, which have been replaced with the food tent buffet, quick grab food locations, and food trucks.

2 Likes

Thanks @LissaKay !

1 Like

Sorry this is coming a bit late, but school started for me the day after we returned, so I am still playing catch-up. We had a 10 night stay at CBR (Aug 14-24). I was extremely hesitant to stay here, but thanks to a BB offer and the construction gift card (thanks @potternut for the heads-up!), and an unofficial forum survey, we really couldn’t pass up the deal…and I am happy to report, I’m glad we took the plunge!

My chief concern was the bus system…so many horror stories! We toyed with renting a car, but DD really wanted to stay within the Disney bubble the entire time, so we allocated a chunk of money for Uber/Lyft. Luckily we never had to dip into that fund! We were supposed to be in the pirate rooms, but a kind CM switched us to Aruba building 55. At first I was a tad disappointed because Aruba was the last stop on the bus loop, but I wasn’t going to complain.

Building 55 room 5544 turned out to be an excellent location for us. In the mornings we walked to Port Royale (second stop) to make sure we got on the buses. “Walking with purpose” this trip took 7 minutes. For the return trips back to the resort we got off at the Aruba stop just because of our aching feet! Of the 10 morning trips to the parks, 8 of those had very short waits for the buses…all less than fifteen minutes…several just 5 minutes! One early morning on our way to MK we were the only guests! We also took several midday breaks. Again, the bus gods must have been smiling down on us because we never waited more than 20 minutes. We even had another personal “limo” ride from Epcot…the driver’s words! We also got lucky at the end of the day, including after MK fireworks!

All of the wait times are pretty accurate because DH took great delight in timing each one…just so he could say “I told ya so”…he had listened to me fret for months about transportation issues and always replied with…it will be fine! I guess he was right!

Now the not so magical…one morning we waited 25 minutes for an MK bus. It seemed like everyone in CBR was going to MK that morning. When the bus finally came it was SRO at this second stop! One poor family had been waiting since 6:40am…their total wait time was 60 minutes! We zoomed by more packed bus stops without stopping. We could see guests throw up their arms in frustration! One woman on board called her friend who was waiting in Jamaica to warn her that we weren’t making any more stops. Her friend responded that a bus had just pulled up! Thank goodness…but where had that bus come from? Oh, and I really wasn’t trying to eavesdrop, but we were in close quarters! This also happened one morning going to AK…another 25 minute wait and a full bus.

One night as I was waiting for an internal bus, I started chatting with a woman who was going to the Custom House to specifically complain about her bus experiences. She also reported an hour wait to go to MK one morning and several long waits in the afternoon to return home. I didn’t have the heart to share our experiences.

On our last morning we saw a CM at the Aruba bus stop tracking waits. Hopefully this will result in more consistent waits for everyone!

Now on to the construction…it really was a non issue at this time. As @JJT stated, most of the construction zones were well hidden, and the ones that weren’t, DH enjoyed watching the progress! Building 55 seemed to be the last building before one of the construction zones. This is what we saw from the second floor if we looked left.

Building 55

Looking straight ahead we could see Old Port Royale. If we didn’t look too closely, it looked just like it did when we stayed here 7 years ago!

I apologize for my awful picture taking, by the way!! We didn’t really hear much of anything. When we left in the morning we were usually out before work began. When we did come back in the afternoon we could hear the music coming from the pool party and not the construction…and with our door closed we heard absolutely nothing! And speaking of the room…very little foot traffic, right above the Coke Freestyle machine and mini market, next to the quiet pool/laundry area, and a short walk to the Aruba bus stop. Loved 5544!

We did one breakfast buffet and one dinner buffet in the tent. It was a great use of a QS meal since we were on the DDP. The food was fine…nothing special, but there was something for everyone, including uber picky DD. The morning we were there they had 7 or 8 Mickey waffle irons going!! We were given wrist bands when we paid. There were also takeout containers if you wanted to eat in your room. You could also access the tent to refill your mugs or grab a snack from one of the food trucks and eat in air conditioned comfort for a brief respite from the sun/pool. No one will go hungry here…it’s just not spectacular…but definitely
better than some of the QS in the parks.

On the monthly calendar of events we were given, some sort of pool party was listed each day. What wasn’t on the schedule, however, were characters joining some of those parties! During our time the characters came Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays…I think around 1:30. DD was able to do the Macarena with Donald and Goofy…the one time I didn’t bring my phone to the pool!!

Everyone we came in contact with at CBR was super nice and helpful. The landscaping is beautiful and the pools were very clean. We would stay here again if the price was right! I hope this will help to allay some of your fears if you are heading to CBR soon, and I hope you have magical time!!

8 Likes

Thank you sooo much for the update! We are booked to stay at CBR in October for our first WDW visit and I have been becoming more and more nervous about our choice. Your post helped to relieve some of my worries. I think if it were just my immediate family I wouldn’t be as concerned but we have both grandmothers traveling with us and I want everyone to be happy. I originally was just drawn to this resort (have heard it even described as Polynesian-lite) and then when we were able to book a great room rate, I jumped on it. Hopefully it will go as well for us as it did for you! I will post our experience when the time comes!

2 Likes

I would be worried too if I was traveling with both grandmothers…for many reasons…lol! But seriously, I would be a little nervous too! I hope your family has a wonderful time…keeping fingers crossed for lots of pixie dust!!

1 Like

Hello, newbie here…what are the current recommended rooms to request at Caribbean beach given the construction? Our reservation is for a standard room, two adults only. Stay is for the last week of October 2017. Which buildings should we request for our room? Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the update. I’m traveling Spring Break 2018, but want to make sure the construction isn’t too bad. The rate I got was great. The Martinique was recommended by the room finder, but I might take a look at the one you suggested.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the construction $75 gift card is still available? Now that’s a deal.

Thanks,

Debra

It is only available if you booked prior to March 18th. It was a good deal if you got it.

1 Like

Ok, yeah we are going Spring Break 2018. Usually (the last few times) I’ve used the dvcrequest or dvcrental store and got villas at a 40%+ discount, but this is a save some $$ trip. At $200 a night I figure CB is good deal since I’ll be there over Easter.

We will be there over Easter as well, staying at AKL. We have stayed at CBR several times and always enjoyed it, but haven’t stayed there since the construction began. Rates seem so high over Easter, so $200 a night isn’t too bad.