What's your budget? And do you stick to it?

Maybe I sorta did it backwards. But I always think of trips in terms of gas/food/lodging/stuff. Identify what you want to see and do, where to stay, what to eat, and how you’re getting there and back. Then price all that stuff out, add 10% for stuff you don’t think of and see if it works. If not, you look at where you’re willing to make your compromises. The key is adding that 10%. Cause there’s always things that throw you for a loop.

1 Like

Started saving in January of 2016 with a goal budget of $4000 to stay at Caribbean Beach from Saturday-Friday. Then we figured “Hey we can stay at wilderness lodge for $5500”. Then “Hey we can stay Saturday-Sunday for $6600”. Finally we decided on Saturday-Sunday at the Polynesian with an 8 day park hopper, memory maker and the Disney dining plan for $7800. We hit our goal amount last month and now we’re up to $700 in cash for the third meal of the day for Me, my wife and 4 year old son plus my 2 year olds food and souvenirs. I figure we’ll take $1500-$2000 down for a total of $9300-$9800. So yeah…we went way over budget but whatever the kids will love it.

1 Like

We are! We’re flying from Grande Prairie to Calgary and then straight to Orlando. I got the card specifically for this trip since the bonus $250 we received for signing up for the card plus the $99 companion airfare voucher saved us a ton of money.

1 Like

I saw an email recently for that card. Sounds like it might be worth looking into.

Oh, it’s such a small world (pun intended). We are flying Prince George -> Vancouver-> Orlando. I didn’t find out about the card until after I booked our flights sob. So I have it now, and will have to use the companion voucher for a different trip next year. And we paid a ridiculous amount for this year’s flights for 4 ppl. But good for you for getting such a great deal!

Budgeting is a tricky thing for us. We like to go to Disney every year so we always try to put back whatever we can and then we scout for deals. We ONLY visit Disney during the off peak times so we can save a little on rooms and we almost always have a majority of our flights paid for through airline points. We usually try to stay in the $3000 range for the 2 of us but $4000 is usually more realistic. We’ve never stayed longer than 7 nights just because we’re home bodies that start missing our dogs if we’re away too long lol. We also only do 1-2 table service restaurants max when we’re there as neither one of us likes feeling loaded down with food in the Florida heat.

2 Likes

I don’t have a budget. I work out what it’s going to cost and if I can afford to pay it off in time and also save for spending money. If the answer is yes, it gets booked. If no, it doesn’t. I never add on any extras etc.

1 Like

So so so sorry! I honestly didn’t mean to break a rule with last post. We have been involved with this group for several years and see so many others with our same love and just wanted to share our experience with others. I tried to seek out posts that budget was a topic. But I took it down. :slight_smile: Again, sorry!

We try to go to Disney annually. We have had to budget smart and stick to it throughout the year, but I LOVE the experience and time with my kids. We are a ‘Disney Family’. It’s ‘our thing’ and I love that! It’s has been worth the planning and budgeting over the years.

Don’t mean to offend or annoy. Just a Disney mom, finding a way and wanted to pass it on!

Did you have a good experience with DVC rental? Which site did you go through?