Trip Report: Grownups In Disney World

Nice shot of the African cranes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

OMG! You are so funny! I was actually looking for those dam cranes in your Tree of Life photo before I scrolled down! :grinning:

1 Like

wonderful report thanks! you all seemed so unhurried without kids.

2 Likes

I think that was the biggest difference in this trip. We did a few things we wouldn’t have done with the kids in tow, but the main thing was how laid back and, yes, unhurried we felt. It was nice :blush:

7 Likes

Thanks again for letting us play along…
More great photos…glad you were able to capture that rare mating ceremony of the cranes…:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Wrap Up

Thanks for coming along for this trip review! I hope you enjoyed it - maybe laughed a little, maybe learned something new that will help YOUR trip be magical!

I thought I would take a moment in conclusion to point out the good, the bad, the magical, and the meh. In no particular order, and totally off the top of my head:

The Magical
California Grill brunch was over the top amazing. I think I will be dreaming about that for a long time to come, too. Viewing wishes from the lounge was something special too. If you’re thinking about a CaliGrill visit, stop thinking and make your ADR.

The Good:
Being alone together in the world was amazing. As I said near the end, we did many of the same things we always do when we travel as a family of 4, but we were so unhurried and just enjoyed each other’s company. I’m so happy we chose to spend our alone time in Disney.

As always, Sanaa was amazing. I dream about that Bread Service.

The actual room at Pop, with the king bed, was spacious, clean and well stocked, and the temperature was always set to what we wanted and did not reset to something warmer when we were sleeping or away.

Disney transport was fine. DME was convenient and quick.

The Star Wars fireworks were (for me) surprisingly good! Even as a non-fan (no tomatoes please!) I found them to be quite well done.

The crowds - this was probably the lowest crowd level we have ever been fortunate to see and that only added to our enjoyment.

The Meh
Ponchoing up and carrying on. I have always said just forge ahead, but doing it was something else entirely. Verdict?? Not so bad! Definitely easier to do as a twosome than it would have been with our kids. Not sure they’d have been up to the task, but for us, it was okay.

Illuminations. We are definitely a take it or leave it family on this one. I won’t go out of my way to make sure we see it again. If we happen to be there we’ll probably stake out a spot, but I wouldn’t make a point to have it in our plans.

The Bad
Pop. Kind of hated it, actually. This probably had a lot to do with our room location which was approximately 1 mile from the moon, but 84932083920583920 miles from the bus stop or Classic Hall. Did I mention it was far?? Concessions being given for that, it just didn’t feel very “Disney” to me. I did not necessarily feel that I was in the bubble at this resort in the way that I have at other resorts, and I missed that. I also didn’t care for the food at the food court here. Just not good at all. Unless it is for a just me visit or a quick one-nighter ahead of a long stay at another resort on property, I don’t think I’ll stay here again. For me, it was a one-and-done location.

The other thing I would call definitely BAD was the food at the QS in Mexico - La Cantina?? Just yuck. Do not go there. Taco bell is probably better. That’s scary.

Now we wait. A new countdown is on the horizon with possibilities for April vacation week or August. April has such better crowds and weather, but we will pay through the nose in airfare. On the other hand, August airfare will be significantly less, but we will melt to death and deal with much larger crowds. We are still tossing the decision around. In either case we are likely going for POFQ - time to have a spin at a moderate! Whenever we go, we know we’ll have a great time being Home. :heart:

13 Likes

Thanks for your awesome report and the wrap up! :smile: Sorry you don’t have much love for Pop - I’ll love it enough for the both of us! :wink: It is rather spread out and walking eleventy-billion miles wouldn’t be fun! I do agree about the QS at Mexico - we weren’t fussed on it either. The taco chips tasted soapy and that was a bit disturbing. Lol!

Glad you and your DH had such a wonderful time - that Cali Grill brunch sounds (and looks - thanks for all the tasty pictures!) like a winner!

4 Likes

Hubby and I only did two nights at POP. We only used the food court and got cereal, milk, yogurt and bananas for breakfast the first morning. We had no ADR’S. We had lunch at Skipper’s Canteen and Dinner at Trails End on the second day. We also ate at the patio at the Hollywood Brown Derby for dinner . We arrived around lunch time and had a free breakfast at the hotel we were before. We had some food for lunch at the kiosks for Flower and Garden.

We wanted to see the Star Wars Launch Bay that opened after out last trip as well as the fireworks. ROL originally was supposed to open. We only went to AK to drop off pretzels for my friend that works there. Hubby can’t be rushed, so most of our trips are relaxed. If anything, I will walk the resorts early in the morning before he wakes. I did more so at the Beach Club in November. POP is pretty at night when the oversized props are lit.

2 Likes

Love the wrap-up…
We had a great time on our adult-only trip last December…and we loved POFQ
Definitely putting Sanaa on our “to-do” list…

1 Like

Thanks for the latest installment!! We always go in August too…but now you have me thinking about April…

1 Like

I absolutely loved this. Your writing is engaging, informative and quite humorous. Although in Los Angeles now, I fly in and out of MHT at least once a year as I was born and raised in Manchester.
You definitely have me doing brunch at California Grill on my vacation next year.
Thank you for sharing your trip, your suggestions and your talents as a story teller.

2 Likes

Really now?

What part of the city are you from? Did you graduate high school here? I was MMHS class of '92!

And thank you for the compliments! I think it’s awesome that you’ll be visiting CG on account of me :slight_smile: I should get a free dinner with all the people who are reportedly booking because of my review!

1 Like

East Manchester up near where Hanover Splits into Lake Ave. I went to Central class of 81. The back yard of our house was a few feet from the line that made the boundary between Central and Memorial.

1 Like

I know exactly where you mean. I work at Elliot Hospital :slight_smile:

Ha ha, I didn’t scroll past the text and just spent like 5 minutes looking for cranes in the picture of the Tree of Life…:upside_down:

2 Likes

That’s where I was born. Billy’s Sports bar around the corner from you is a great lunch spot. A friend of my brothers…Billy (go figure) owns it.

1 Like

Ahhhh Billy’s. Been there too many times. Never for lunch while working though since I work nights.

I will actually be in Manchester, for sure, the week before my trip to Disney in Nov of 2017. I should stop by the Elliot to say hi. it’s a 5 minute drive from my Mom’s house.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Only if you’re up all night

1 Like