Spreadsheet: Best Tix to Buy to Maximum Savings on AP Upgrade

If you paid in the 210 to 246 range for your 4 or 5 day tickets they are the Military Salute Tickets, the military promotional tickets.

You are correct JJT, you cannot buy the Salute tickets online. If you are staying at Shades of Green you can call them & they will send you a form. Fill it out & email it back to them. They will call you for your credit card # then you can either choose to pick up the tickets at check-in or for a $10 fee they’ll Fedex you the actual tickets. If you choose to pick them up at check-in they’ll email you the backs of your tickets with the barcode so you can make your FPP selections.

Right, I know they are the Salute tickets. I bought them on base. I just want to know if I am able to use one or both toward an AP.

Only one per AP.

For those keeping any eye out for deals: Official Ticket Centers prices right now have dropped significantly for many ticket types. I’ve updated my Maximum discount spreadsheet, so enter your Adults/Children in the top and take a look how much you can save!

All of the resellers changed a little bit after this weekend’s sales (which were disappointing IMHO.) But OTC was the most dramatic.

For posterity, Below is a capture of the current prices and savings for a family of 4:
current prices family of 4

1 Like

Hey all,

The Backside of Magic guys talked about my spreadsheet on today’s episode:

101: Park Ticket Discount Tools

Pretty cool!

7 Likes

YEAH!!! Congrats!

1 Like

FYI all: I made some changes to the sheet](https://goo.gl/SQNpXR) to hopefully make it easier to read and understand:

I moved the fields you can change all to the left side on the main page, plus added a field where you can tell it to look for tickets with a minimum number of park days.

For example, right now, OTC 3 day PH tix have the biggest discount, but if you buy those to upgrade to AP with, you won’t be able to make FPP for more than 3 days. If your trip is for 6 days, you can enter that in the Minimum field and it will only show the best deals for tickets of that length or higher.

I also moved all notes and comments to a dedicated tab for a cleaner look. I left the Bridge Info For Printing tabs alone for now.

4 Likes

Just wanted to provide my experience converting Military Salute tickets to AP. The first week of Dec I had 2, 4 day hopper military salute tickets. I went to the guest relations counter at MK to convert. I was aware that I could only convert one ticket (about $200) to the AP. However, the girl at the counter was super nice and very military friendly. She let me put both tickets toward the AP and I ended up paying under $300 for the platinum AP (minus the water parks). I don’t think this is the norm, and I probably just got a little Disney magic, but it was awesome!

3 Likes

Hello folks! I just realized that a couple of formulas on the AP Bridge Info reference table weren’t updating properly in my Maximum Discount AP Upgrade spreadsheet.

If you used it recently and screen captured that table, you might want to take another quick look at it.

The phone tables to capture on that AP Bridge Info for Printing tab weren’t using the “minimum park days” setting if you changed it, so the amounts may not have matched the correct results on the Disney Tickets Cost page. (Which was working properly all along.)

All fixed now. https://goo.gl/SQNpXR

A quick Geeky Under The Hood Update:

99 44/100% of people will not care a whit for this info, but just putting it out there for posterity in case someone notices any formulas in the sheet acting funny. (Please let me know if you do!)

I have decided to stop using Named Ranges in Google sheets and made changes to the Maximum Savings sheet so that the formulas all reference direct cells instead of named ranges.

I have found that Google Sheets’ implementation of named ranges does not work consistently. When you duplicate a tab sometimes the range reference follows the new range and sometimes it follows the old one. Sometimes the range reference will point to the correct cells on the correct tab, but the NAME of the range will be prefaced by the name of a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT tab. And you can’t change it!

Ain’t nobody got time for that.

So, while this decision to drop named ranges in Sheets makes me has a sad, I got tired of multiple things breaking every time I moved tabs or other things around.

So, while it filled my morning with menial tasks, I have changed all formulas to use direct references and not the named ranges I have already created. Hopefully it will save me time later - even though named ranges are normally a very useful thing since humans tend be able to comprehend the gist of a formula that uses a name rather than a cell reference.

For example, a formula that looks like
=Adult_Tickets x Price + Child_Tickets x Price
means more to the average human than
=C23 x ‘TicketData’!F44 + D23 x ‘TicketData’!G44

If you happen to look for named ranges, you will notice that there are still quite a few existing in the sheet, but none of them should be referenced by any formulas at this point. I just got tired of deleting them one by one. The Google needs to step up their game on this feature.

1 Like

And 99 44/100% of Liners will probably not get this reference. :wink:

4 Likes

Howdy All: Quick Update: I spent some time today adding the prices for a 5th vendor (“Get Away Today”) to my maximum savings spreadsheet. Someone had mentioned them as another location that sometimes has good deals.

While right now none of their ticket prices appear to beat any of the other 4 vendors in the sheet, there was a time a few months ago where a couple of ticket types and days were in the running for cheapest.

While I had their prices in the “Ticket Data” tab of my spreadsheet, I did not have time until today to add them to the “Disney Ticket Costs” formulas and set up conditional formatting so Get Away Today had its own color in the sheet.

I ran several tests to make sure all of the formulas are working - I believe they are, but if you see anything that looks off, please let me know and I’ll try to take a look ASAP!

Another feature!

@brtaylor reminded me over in chat that you can save more money using discounted Disney Gift Cards.

I’ve thought about adding a box with that additional savings possible, so I just put a quick table in the “AP Bridge Info for Printing” tab that does it.

It rounds the upgrade amount needed to the nearest $100, all you have to do is enter a % discount for your GCs and it tells you how much you saved in GCs and total saved for both GCs & reseller tix.

I limited the % discount to numbers between 1 and 25 to keep it real. Anything over 10% is pretty rare I’d guess, but also wanted to give people a little leeway just in case.

The screen capture of the table below shows a current example: if buying discounted tix for 4 adults and plan to upgrade to Platinum AP, but need a minimum of 5 days park tickets, you’d save $288 buying tickets at UT for 6 days + 1 day (7 days total.)

bridge

You would need to pay $1,167 at GS to upgrade them all to AP, so rounding that number has you buying $1,200 in Disney Gift Cards. If you got the standard 5% discount (Target, BJs, etc.) you’d save an additional $60, and your total savings on these APs would be $348.

Discount GC Table

2 Likes

Excellent.

I always do the “how much my gift card discount will save me” math on top of these things but it’s super nice you’ve included it!

1 Like

Howdy All, I have updated the Maximum Savings spreadsheet with ew prices after the increase and think it is good to go with one caveat: Boardwalk Tix seemed to be updating their prices as I was checking, but so far their PH Plus page still says “back soon” even later in the day.

I’ll try again later and also double check my changes when I can to make sure I didn’t add any typos in the prices.

Interesting: The Boardwalk Tix prices that they do have out there all went up since just last week. UT Tix for 7 days or more all went down! Others mostly same, but Get Away Today changed a few tix and ended up as best priced in several ticket days and types (using the discount link from the last Disney Tourist Blog email newsletter.)

Check this simple table spreadsheet if you’d like to see how reseller ticket prices changed today compared to last week.

One other thing: there are several ticket types that have savings up around $100 per adult ticket at resellers, which is on average $22 better savings compared than you could get last week. (Of course, that is compared to Disney’s new higher prices, so is all relative. But if you are about to buy tix, $100 savings per adult is super nice.)

Don’t think that savings will last as reseller stock runs out!

1 Like

You state that Disney doesn’t know how much you paid, but they do know the expiration date of the ticket you bought so then would they only bridge to the their price of the ticket that had the same expiration date? I bought 6 +1 park hopper tickets from UT in January and am going in March and planning on upgrading to a platinum. From what I read on other places, Disney will only credit me for how much they were selling the 7day hopper at the time I bought the one from UT and not what the going rate is. When I used your spread sheet it seems to be bridging to the current gate price, not what it was in January, but everyone else says different. Am I reading your info wrong? And Thanks!

I think you are correct if they can identify when you bought the ticket. I have a 7 day park hopper that I bought BEFORE the February 2017 price increase, so, it has no expiration date on it. I am not anticipating getting any more value from it other than what the gate price for a 7 day park hopper was on the day before the 2017 price increase.

Darn! I was hoping for another answer. I should have bought APs right away!

Well, rest in the fact that I am not sure about my answer. But I am expecting the scenario to play out, at least for me, as I have described it since the ticket I have could not have been bought after 2/10/17.