Spinning symbol of iPhone?

The entire time I am on the forum format my iPhone has spinning symbol running on top of screen. What does that mean?

Hi @hollya! I’m just going to tag @Lentesta and @daybreaker on your question here. Hopefully they can give you some advice! :smile:

Thanks! Looking at it right now and it is spinning away!

I asked this question in one of the Bugs threads… Hang on & I’ll go find the answer to copy/paste :slight_smile:

[quote=“daybreaker, post:4, topic:1181, full:true”]
The spinning wheel is just the background updating the app does to check for new posts - if it doesnt find any then it will have used 0 bytes of data. Even if it does find new posts, the amount of data it will bring over is very very small. It might be having a small effect on battery, but I dont think the effect is too much bigger than leaving any other app open for ling periods of time.
[/quote] :slight_smile:

Thank you. Just didn’t want it to completely drain battery. I assumed when not on wifi my data will go fast using the forum. Trying to find wifi but not always possible when out and about. Primarily use Lines on phone.

I haven’t yet tried using the forum without wifi. The area where I live is very rural and doesn’t even have 3G connection, so don’t think it will work for me anyway (lines chat does but that’s another matter a guess :confused:). Other users where reporting massive data usage but I think that may have improved recently?
I have to say though, I think that it is using MUCH more battery on my phone than what leaving other apps open does…

@pooh2412, we’ve recently changed background colors on the forums, to help save battery life on phones. If you have a chance to re-measure this, let me know.

We’ve tested both data use and battery use over many hours, and found them to be about the same as Lines (literally within a couple percent). We think the brightness of the room you’re in probably has more impact on the battery life.