Sorcerers question

About how long does it take at each portal?

I had noted to stop each day for cards even though we don’t plan on playing (just so we could have something neat and different as a souvenir). It sounds like if we don’t play we can’t get another day’s cards?

Last time I was at wow, ds13 and I spent some time playing. The problem is the lines at each portal, and what level they’re at. Also how many sets they are playing with. There was 1 couple, about 25, who played 4 seta at each turn. Sometimes a cm asked them to rejoin the line but not always. Also you can be sent to and fro around Adventureland for example. So you have to visit the portals in the right order, working out the next one from the clues given to you at each portal.

To answer your question, we played in Main Street and adventure land, 2 games and it took us around 2.5 hrs. That was in July. Usually the lines had between 6 and 10 people (or families) at each portal. Having tried it first on a couple of the portal Windows, we had come to MK for a morning just to play it.

I wouldn’t attempt it if you’re following a tip!

That should have said don’t attempt it if you’re following a tp!

Good to know, we were planning to do this but are newbies. Is it not apparent from the maps which order you are supposed to hit the portals, or you just randomly figure it out when you play? Also we were thinking of wilderness explorers, is it a similar format?

Not tried wilderness explorers so can’t comment.

It was fairly new when we were there. (2012) The map showed the whole park with the location of each portal window marked. I’m fairly sure the order you visited them in varied from player to player. Certainly the Windows weren’t numbered or anything.

Without spoiling it too much, there’s a story for each game and when you play your card a new challenge is given, with a clue to the next location. There was a picture of the portal surroundings to help you find it.

Maybe someone who’s played it more recently can help more. It was great fun, but we were lucky to have the time to set aside a couple of half days to play rather than do rides. To be honest I started to get tired of it after an hour or so, probably not helped by the heat. It’s a distraction! Not for those who want to do as much as possible in a day. The problem is, kids love it and I saw some who had a melt down when it was time to move on.

I’m hoping to visit with my nephews in the next couple of years, and would love to do it with them. But I would plan a morning or afternoon for it, leaving my brother and sil to go enjoy some time on their own.

@sarahraegraham Yes, you need to visit your next assigned portal (so try remember it from the end of you last round of play — or visit the first portal you come to and it will remind you where you need to go) before you can collect the new day’s set of cards.
This was a pain in the neck for us as we were in the middle of a game in Fantasyland so we had to go all the way into the park to open the portal, then go back to the Firehouse to get that day’s cards. I guess we could have just picked them up on the way out that day…

Re Wilderness Explorers. Totally different. The little tasks/activities are not dependent on the various locations. You can do as few or many as you like and in any order.

I would allot an hour or so to Sorcerers (or more if you’re loving it). WE can basically be done throughout the day at AK as you come upon them.

Wilderness Explorers is different. You can do the activities in whatever order you come across them; it’s not a “story” like Sorcerers. The WE activities only take a few minutes generally. Some require you ride rides to complete (for example, one asks for the name of your Safari vehicle), but you don’t have to finish them all to have fun. We did 10 badges (stickers) in 2014, after just stumbling upon the game, and we’re bringing the same books back again, to try and finish up the other 20 or so.

@Nicky_S thanks for the info, that is terrific. We have 3.5 days in MK for our trip so we will make some time for it but I had no idea how much to set aside.

One other question. How do you start the game in another land after you finish one, do you have to return to the SotMK station? or does it tell you where to go next? Ex. I start in adventureland and finish all five portals, does it tell which portal to go to next or do I have to go back to the fire station/main street area to start next area?

random other question about Sorcerers; if we picked up cards last time we were at WDW but did not play; will we have to bring those cards back this time so that we play a portal before we can pick up more cards?

@tntjacobs, to be honest I can’t remember if we had to go back or not. I really hope someone else can answer for you. Sorry not to be able to help :pensive:

Hi! I spent several days playing Sorcerer’s when I was at WDW this past August. To answer your question, each portal takes between 3-5 minutes. The delay comes if there are people queued up ahead of you to use the same portal. I’d have to check my map, but I want to say there are 5 portals in each of the lands and most of the tasks require you to visit each portal, but it seems like the next portal you’re sent to is randomly chosen.

This is correct, in order to pick up the next day’s cards you must play at your assigned portal, luckily it only takes about 5 minutes. If you’re just picking up cards each day instead of actively playing the game I would recommend starting in Main Street so that you can pick up your cards, play at a portal and then go about your touring and you’ll be set to pick up your cards the next day.

When you finish your last portal for each task it it will direct you to which land and portal you need to visit to continue the adventure. There are 9 adventures to complete/villains to beat for an entire game. I spent one day playing non-stop this past August, and it took me 4.5 hours to complete the entire game. One hint, if you do complete all 9 adventures, you can stop by the firehouse and get a 2nd set of spell cards that day. You also can have the game advanced to a harder level. I was also told by a cast member that if you start playing he game, it will be saved for 2 years, so if you have another trip planned you can pick up where you left off as long as you’ve brought along the ticket or Magic Band the game is liked to. Also, if there is a long wait at the firehouse, there is a second sorcerer’s station where you can pick up cards located in Liberty Square near the Christmas Shop.

If you start a new game you don’t have to bring the cards you picked up on your last trip. The game is liked to your ticket or magic band, so as long as you have a new ticket or magic band you can start a new game without having to visit a portal first. But for the rest of your trip if you’re wanting to pick up cards each day you’ll need to visi at least one portal prior to picking up the next set of cards.

Is that still open? I remember that from before, but when I went to confirm that last week, I couldn’t find info either on TP or Disney’s website.

In August it was open (I was there August 4-13, 2016 and played the entire game on August 13 and the Librty Square location was open). I suspect it may not be staffed during low crowd times.

1 Like

Thanks!!

@Jadesfire21 Thank you so much for the great information. I really appreciate your advise.

You are very welcome! I had the pleasure of doing a solo trip to WDW (which was amazing!) and Sorcerer’s was one of the must do items on my list. I ended up playing the full game twice during my 10 days there, so I learned a few tips and tricks. I’m still missing a few of the spell cards (there are a total of 60 spell cards that are free in the packets), so I’m planning on starting a new game during my December trip.

1 Like