Some ideas for the 2017 DC Unofficial Guide

I just got my Kindle version of the Unofficial Guide to DC, and while I am enjoying Len’s latest efforts towards ensuring Touring Plans’ global domination, I can’t help but feel that there are some things missing in the 2016 edition. Some modest proposals for next year:

Small child fright potential chart, listing members of Congress in order from mildly unnerving to downright terrifying.

Tours That Eat Adults: Better take a couple of Dramamine before heading to the Bureau of Engraving & Printing, pal. It’s a doozy.

DC Dish with Jim Hill. “Original plans for the Lincoln Memorial actually called for an ambitious dark ride, which would have taken visitors by replica horse-drawn carriage through over a dozen pivotal moments in the life of our 16th President. However, budget constraints and furious backroom lobbying by the famous sculptor Daniel Chester French prompted an 11th hour redesign just before groundbreaking, resulting in the monument we know today.”

Whimsical illustrations of stereotypical DC tourists parting with their money in their natural habitat, by Chris Eliopoulos.

The Importance of Being Gerald.

Lastly, I think it goes without saying that DC deserves its own Lines app and personalized, customizable-on-the-fly Touring Plans. Granted, with all the variables involved in visiting DC, you’d probably need to rent supercomputer time from CERN to optimize my itinerary, but isn’t my vacation more important than some silly hadron collider unlocking the secrets of the universe? I certainly think so.

Thank you for your consideration.

6 Likes

We might be moving to DC in a few months. I think I need one of those super computers to find a place to live.

Haven’t seen the DC guide, but if it’s not included, museum of the American Indians cafeteria has the BEST food… So many health choices! Highly recommend!

2 Likes

Yes, they got that covered. They even recommend it (Mitsitam Cafe) as an alternative lunch spot for Air & Space Museum visitors. I’m very intrigued.

1 Like

It is very good. We ate there after a morning at air & space. The whole family loved it.

The train station is another good place to eat. They had a Johnny Rockets as well as a food court area when we visited. Food courts work when you have a combination of picky and adventurous eaters.

Oh my gosh! I totally laughed out loud! :joy: