OBNurseNH in WDW: A Trip Report 4/22-30/2017

I love your daughter’s shirt! I want it!

I believe it can be found at Hot Topic. Though I know that’s not where she got it. Not sure where it came from for her, just have seen it at Hot Topic recently.

1 Like

Yay, so excited to read the rest of your trip report! I’ve read the first “chunk” and excited to keep going :smiley:

1 Like

Here you go my babies :wink: So sorry it took me so long for this installment. I hope you find the wait was worth it!
Wednesday, April 26th: Magic Kingdom

My 9yo son was super excited about the idea of being in Magic Kingdom until it closed at midnight. He’s still of the age when staying up so late is both a challenge and a tremendous delight. We had a resort day (read: sleep-in) planned for Thursday, so this day was the perfect opportunity to give him the chance to see if he could make it to midnight. With that in mind, we planned for Wednesday to be a sleep in day with a slow and lazy start, planning to arrive at MK at noon for lunch at Casey’s.

This was also my day to do our midweek laundry. I love doing laundry at WDW for a variety of reasons: it allows is to pack less, it allows us to return home with suitcases full of clean laundry, and it’s WDW and everything is better! I bring a collapsible laundry bin and laundry soap pods and dryer sheets and do my thing in the early morning while everyone else sleeps. I also make use of laundryview to be sure machines are available before I make the trip to the laundry room and to track my laundry as it’s washing and drying. I pop my stuff in the washer and grab some coffee at the quick service (in this case, the Mara) and go for a little walkabout. So that is what I did! The quiet of a resort just waking up for the day is so precious. And although there aren’t many animals around at that time of day (they are back with their keepers being checked out and such), the savanna is still gorgeous and the lobby is still breathtaking.

When the laundryview page told me my wash was ready to be transferred, I returned to the laundry room and switched stuff over before going back up to the room with things I prefer to hang dry. My son was awake by then, so I had him put on some clothes and we went back to Mara to have some breakfast together.  After breakfast we checked out the Uzima savanna and saw a few animals. But the real highlight of our morning together happened poolside.

One of the coolest things about AKL is all of the activities they have going on. Before you head down, check out the latest Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort Activities Guide to see what is happening, when, and where during your stay. On this particular morning a bead activity was going on near the Flamingo pool. The Flamingo Activity was a learning activity that taught the children who were participating about the different feeding habits of flamingoes and pelicans. They also learned about the effect of pollution on those feeding habits. The cast members who run these activities are very good at what they do and engage the kids so well. We were happy that we had happened upon it and he was able to earn a bead for his necklace, as happens with several of the activities around the resorts, creating a special keepsake of your time there.

We headed back to the laundry room to pick up the things from the dryer and returned to our room to wake up DH and DD. They wanted to eat breakfast, so they headed down to do that while I finished the laundry. One item I learned I wish to pack in the future is a collapsible drying rack. There is a retractable clothesline in the tub area of the bathroom, but with a family of four that just is not substantial enough for even wet swimsuits. On this trip I improvised by using the luggage rack in a similar fashion, but I’ll pack a drying rack on our next long trip.

Around 11:30 or so we made our way to the bus depot and got a bus to MK. As was my experience on Sunday, we made quick work of getting through bag check and the tapstiles. The kids wanted to grab some SOTMK cards at the Fire House, and then we headed up Main Street to Casey’s to have lunch. As with most of the QS in parks, the queue in Casey’s was overwhelming, and finding a seat at an umbrella table outside was a bit of a challenge. If they could somehow find a way to make getting situated at QS less of a stressful few minutes it would be lovely. Still, it was all worthwhile when we finally sat to enjoy our hotdogs (I got corn dog bites – YUM!) and this was our view:

I can’t imagine a better way to start our day in MK, really. I have long fantasized about a lunch such as this: the piano player tickling the ivories, my family by my side, enjoying tasty food, and that CASTLE in my line of sight. Idyllic.

The parade marched by as we finished our meal too (Move It! Shake It! Dance It! Play It!) so we caught a bit of that too. Later, after we were home, a friend from here and I realized that she was just on the other side of the fence in my Castle picture above at the same time as I was taking that picture! How we missed one another, I’ll never know. Crazy to be so near and so far LOL.

We kicked off our day in MK by visiting with Talking Mickey using a FPP. Nothing like greeting the mouse at his house! We stopped in at Box Office Gifts on the way out and DS did a little pin trading with the CM there. Our next FPP was for Dumbo – which is our family’s traditional first ride in MK – and we had some time to spare and wanted to save some steps so we rode over on the train to Fantasyland. Sometime, as a family, we need to do the regular Dumbo queue so the kids can see the play area. They’re a little big for it, I think, but they would love to see it. DH and I saw it on our no-kids trip last September and it’s pretty neat and such a great idea on Disney’s part. Still, on this day it was nice to have a FPP and enjoy a perfect ride:

The Speedway was next. I hate the speedway but both kids get a kick out of having the chance to drive. We had taken a risk and not gotten a FPP for this one – which I typically recommend as the queue is long, boring, and stinky – and when we walked up I regretted my decision, seeing a 40 minute posted wait time. No worries. We waited not more than 10 minutes and then I let DD take my life in her hands. She is one crazy, but beautiful, driver.

After the Speedway we rode 7D using our next FPP. Later in the trip you’ll see that we also rode using standby. We’ll never ride without FPP again. It’s a really fantastic ride, but it’s so short! After riding we headed to ETWB. We’ve never done standby with this one but today we did. It’s really pretty neat being inside of Belle and Maurice’s cottage! I wish we had done this sooner  Do it if you can! One thing that was pretty neat, touringplans related, was this: per our plan we were expected to arrive at ETWB at 2:52… and we arrived at 2:52. It amazes me how spot on the plans can be! DS was chosen to be Maurice in this production and as always he had a ball. We suspect he has a tremendous crush on Belle.

Our plan had us meeting Gaston next. We had never met him before but what a hoot he is! Everyone should take the time to meet him. So perfectly in character! His line can get long but we lined up right before his 4pm set and so we were something like 3rd in line. He is obnoxious and so full of himself and it is hilarious. My son showed him a Gason pin he has; Gaston gathered everyone’s attention in the area saying, “Would you look at this?! He’s brought me a small me! How fantastic!” It was one of our all-time favorite meets.

We rode Barnstormer and then headed to Under the Sea followed by meeting Ariel. Again, aside from Mickey and pals, our goal this trip was to meet only characters we had never been able to before. We have skipped meeting Ariel before because we can’t imagine using a FPP for it and the posted time is also insane. However, this was another line that was much shorter than posted time. I don’t remember the specifics here, but we were shocked at how little time we spent waiting and I remember we remarked that paying attention to posted times is foolish. Her meet was great, and the grotto is so cool (both literally and figuratively).

We took in a viewing of Mickey’s Philharmagic and then headed over to meet Merida next. We were prepared, once again, for a long wait with reports that she averages about 40-45 minutes unless you get her right at rope drop. We had tried to meet her once before, but the CM gave us the impression that once you get past the rope entering the courtyard, you have another lengthy wait. I wish we had looked in the courtyard ourselves because that is where Merida meets – we were under the impression that she was inside somewhere and so the wait would be interminable. Fear not: once you are in the courtyard the wait is not more than 10 additional minutes. I think we waited a total of 20 on this day.

We made our way back to Tomorrowland for our ride on the AstroOrbiter. I wish this one had a FPP because I hate waiting for it and it kind of makes me a little sick, going round and round as fast as it does. But it does provide a pretty spectacular view of the area, and the kids love it, so we do it. We had PeopleMover on our plan next, but some poor kid took an awful header exiting the ride (we heard he was running down the ramp) and there was a need to shut it down for a while. Head wounds bleed a lot, and there was some cleaning up to do. We saw him being rolled away in a wheelchair and he seemed alert; we hope he was okay and the family’s vacation was not too negatively impacted.

MILF was up next. We just love this attraction for it’s interactive nature and the fact that it’s different every time you do it. We always submit a joke but ours was not chosen this time. I’d love it if they picked my shy DH as That Guy just once!

On the way back to Cinderella’s Castle for our dinner reservation, DS and I rode the teacups. That Guy from our MILF showing was there, so DS said, “Hi That Guy!” I could tell That Guy was already tired of being recognized, and it had only been a few minutes. Regarding the teacups, I hate them. I get so nauseated. But DS loves them and nobody else will ride. How can you say no to the chance to see this kind of joy on your kid’s face?

Having been made sufficiently nauseous, it was time to head to Cinderella’s Royal Table for dinner. We had a 7:10 reservation and arrived right on time and checked in. There is a photo op with Cinderella once you’ve checked in, and then you wait in the Great Hall for your party to be called up to the dining room. We did have to wait a bit for our table and I was both starving and incredibly thirsty at that point so I was a little bit frustrated by the wait. But in about 15 minutes we were called and made our way to a table near the center of the dining room.

Our waiter was very friendly and attentive. He reviewed the menu and how to best be positioned to meet the princesses. We ordered and waited for royalty to visit us. They happened by a short time later. I will say that I was rather unimpressed with how quickly they passed by. We barely had time to get a photo and for the kids to get autographs. It seemed to mirror our experience at Tusker House with regard to the characters. I find myself wondering if it was something about us – not animated enough, kids seeming a little “too old”? – or if they are really scurried along by their handlers. If one of our main objectives had been to meet the princesses I will say this would have been a real disappointment. I’m also hoping this was out of the norm and that we were the exception rather than the rule.

Overall, though, this was a great meal. We enjoyed the charcuterie, DH had the pork, I had the beef tenderloin and shrimp, and DD had the pan seared chicken. DS had the mac and cheese. For dessert, DH had Jaq & Gus, DS had the sorbet, and DD and I had The Clock Strikes Twelve which was delicious!

Bonus: we witnessed a marriage proposal during our dinner! She said “Yes” :wink: DS said, “This is a pretty good place to do that, if you’re gonna do that.” LOL Smart boy!

We wrapped up dinner at about 8:35, just in time to head out for Wishes. We exited toward the front of the castle (the rear is roped off) and slid into the crowd already gathered right in front of the castle. Wishes has been, to date, my favorite nighttime show in any of the parks and since it was potentially our last viewing of it I was particularly excited to have such a great spot - with no wait or camping out hours ahead!

Now came the real test of our true objective on this day: close down the Magic Kingdom!! These next few hours were what the late start was all about. DS was really looking forward to seeing if he could make it all the way to midnight and I was looking forward to seeing a Kiss Goodnight.

We headed back to Tomorrowland for BLSRS using standby (about a 15 minute wait) and to try for a spin on the PeopleMover. I was a little bit secretly excited to do PeopleMover at night since I’ve only ever ridden during the day. It was a treat :slight_smile:

We made our way back to Fantasyland to ride Winnie the Pooh with a short wait. I even let DS lick the honey wall.

Not really! What kind of a mother (and nurse!) do you take me for?!

Then we rode Small World which was a walk-on. Peter Pan was a longer wait – in the 20 minute range – but we had never had the chance to see the standby queue before and let me tell you it is worth it. What they have done with that since I rode it standby in 2010 right before it was refurb’d is incredible. You make your way through the Darling’s home along the way and it is so charming as well as interactive. I will definitely go standby in the future to see it again.

Our last goal for tonight was go get the Tangled/Lantern PhotoPass picture (it’s not really a magic shot, as people refer to it, since there is an actual lantern that you actually hold). The Tangled/Tinkle Tower area is so beautiful at night anyway.

It was a solid 20-25 minute wait, but well worth it.

It was about 11:35 by the time we were finished and we had nothing else on our plan. We decided to slowly make our way back toward Main Street. I had to stop along the way for some photos. This was the first time we really spent much time in MK after dark (we have always exited right after Wishes on the two occasions we have stayed past sunset), and it is just gorgeous at night.

We browsed through the Emporium for a while, and suddenly the clock struck twelve and it was Midnight on Main!

We stayed for the first Kiss Goodnight, and, happy we had met our goal to close the park (even DS!), made our way back toward the buses. It had been a really fantastic day. So relaxed, so no-pressure. We did so very much but we really ENJOYED every minute, really immersed ourselves in the moment. We never hurried. We never worried about missing a FPP or getting off track with our plan. When we couldn’t ride PeopleMover in the late afternoon, we shrugged it off and carried on. And though we were weary when we finally boarded that bus back to AKL, we still had smiles on our faces as we finished one of our best MK days ever.

But let me tell you – that room right next to the bus depot was never so amazing as it was that night :wink:

Up next: a resort day, some mini-golf, and a “Family” dinner.

21 Likes

What a great day! You make me what to try CRT some day! Congrats on making it to the kiss good night!

2 Likes

Thanks for the new installment…sounds like an amazing day/night…again, thanks for taking us along…and do love all the photos…especially the night ones…

1 Like

I was sad to miss meeting up with @BearsMom2011 on my 2016 solo trip - who knows maybe on my next trip it will work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

She is good people <3

1 Like

that’s the word on the “street”:wink: :smiley:

I and my son are going to see Jim Hill and Len Testa for the podcast trip in November 10. A couple liners are also going to Disney but not my event. I will also go in September 2018.

2 Likes

That sounds awesome. I’d love to do that.
We have a hockey tournament at Jay Peak in VT :rolling_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you so much for continuing, this installment was my favorite so far! My kids are still young, but the excitement of a day in the future where we, too, can make it until midnight sounds like so much fun! Oh, who am I kidding, I barely make it until 9:30 on most nights!

On our first family trip two years ago, my first trip back to WDW in twenty years, we had four generations with us. And let me tell you, the excitement of my DH being “That Guy” was one of the highlights of our trip. It amused my then six year old DD to no end. She thought daddy was famous! And last year, our whole family was called out for our tie-dyed shirts. I just love the comedy. We always submit jokes but alas, they are never chosen, maybe next time!

Thank you for helping me re-live fond memories!

2 Likes

Thank you for continuing. Great installment!

1 Like

Another great installment; loving it!

1 Like

I love that lantern picture! It is beautiful. As are the other photos. That does sound like a perfect day. I am really going to try and stay for the kiss goodnight!

3 Likes

Great report. I love closing down MK - it is magical. Last year my oldest was 7 and we stayed until about 12:30. He was very tired the next day (a travel day) but it was worth it. I am so sad that MK closes at 10:00 on our trip next week.

1 Like

Loving this report.
I need to learn more about that Tangled lantern photo shot – my 2.5 year old daughter’s favorite princess is Rapunzel and my (19 y/o) niece would be beyond jealous of that shot! lol

What can I tell you?

I agree with you - I am SO tired of the Disney Dining Plan! I find the meals are gigantic and i don’t feel good making myself so full and then go and tour the parks. I end up getting salads or buy kids meals or split meals (when applicable). Tom and I split almost every meal we had at Disneyland.

I ended up cancelling most of my ADR’s on my last WDW trip and just went to lounges for those meals. I got a lot of millage out of my TiW card! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes!!!