Mission Space Orange: what is comparable?

I have never ridden on Mission Space Orange or Green, but I keep seeing all kinds of warnings about the Orange. What is it comparable to? I am fine riding most thrill rides in WDW, but I won’t do the Teacups or Primeval Whirl. Should I give Orange a try or stick with Green?

Both they are different.

Yes, but motion sickness wise, what is Orange comparable to? I’m trying to figure out if it will make me sick.

It does spin and has strong G forces. If you can’t do teacups or primeval whirl, I’d skip it. Better safe than sorry.

2 Likes

It’s kind of similar to the Gravitron at a fair only stronger, though the feeling doesn’t last nearly as long. I can do most rides of any type all day long, but after 2 or 3 times on Orange I’m done. Not barfing, but definitely ready to move on.

2 Likes

MS Orange was worse than the teacups, the spinning left me sick feeling for hours. On the other hand I can ride any roller coaster at 6 Flags, so thrill rides are not the issue. Skip orange!

1 Like

Thanks @missoverexcited, @Nikkipoooo and @Wahoohokie! Green it is.

2 Likes

There really isn’t anything comparable. It rotates around a central axis, using centripetal acceleration to simulate increased G forces. You don’t feel like you’re “spinning”, but your inner ear is still registering a rotational movement. What makes it especially hard for some people is that there is no visual component to accompany the rotation, so this sensory mismatch can increase the potential for motion sickness. Rollercoasters are much less likely to cause motion sickness as they deal primarily with linear accelerations and decelerations and only have brief rotational components when going around a curve (which is typically not long enough to cause problems - although this is probably why the backwards helix in EE effects some people more than others).

That’s some of the basic science behind it. I am fortunate in that I have never been motion sick in my life, and I’ve done some pretty crazy things (including riding a military training centrifuge to 8 Gs and logging hours in the back of fighter jets), so I’m probably not the best person to give motion sickness advice regarding specific rides (we all have the same basic anatomy and physiology, but with regards to motion sickness, there are many idiosyncratic factor in play).

But I would probably agree with the others; if you know that you have a problem with rotational movement, then you might want to avoid the orange side…

5 Likes

The only thing I can compare it to is the carnival ride where you stand up and it spins - and then it tilts and you are held up against the sides - but still not really as you can’t see anything - you don’t know that is going on - so you just feel the G forces. I personally think it is LAME at best - but the “ZERO G” simulation is a bit cool. I personally do NOT consider it a thrill ride. You just feel heavy and then light. There is no lateral force

I’d do green first, and then if you think it was nothing, do orange. I didn’t think orange was much more thrilling at all. I like big drops and all coasters, but I do NOT like the spinning rides - like teacups. I don’t really get bad motion sickness, but the teacups can trigger a slight one for me. I didn’t think Mission Space orange was much at all. Green had a few seconds of weird pressure, but nothing major at all, imo.

I thought they were going to be way more of a thrill ride, but, just my opinion - nothing to worry about. Overhyped, imo, but I do realize that it may be totally different for others.

1 Like

I had a chance to ride it when it first opened, and it was pretty extreme; they had to slow it down because TOO many people were getting sick.

1 Like

and, unlike tea cups, you have no control over the spin. It’s happening whether you want it to or not.

I was pretty freaked out the one time I went Orange. Enclosed space plus the weight of the G’s. Not again.

2 Likes

I do it but it still freaks me out. The pressure on my chest and neck scares me to death.

1 Like

You know the feeling on Expedition Everest when you start going backwards? Orange feels like that, but for the whole ride.

1 Like

For the whole ride? Not just take-off?

Are the images of Mars worth it? I did Green and it was fine.

1 Like

The lift off is a more intense version, but the sensation is for duration of the ride. Right now, green has a different video - it changed to a new storyline this month. But orange has the same video that green did before orange. I don’t think the video on its own makes the ride worth it. The thing that makes Orange what it is is the spinning. The video/story is just secondary.

1 Like

I’m going to say it’s far far worse than when EE goes backwards - that doesn’t affect me at all. And no, the images of Mars aren’t worth it. But the kid loves it so…

1 Like

I’ve bottled it and cancelled mine. I don’t do spinning.

1 Like

Mission Space Orange is the only ride where I’ve seen a barf bag. I almost vomited the first time I rode it (and I normally had no issues with spinning rides). The 2nd time I rode, I knew that “no head movements during the ride” means no head movements at all during the ride. Still queasy but better.

I rode Mission Space before they split it into Green and Orange. During the ride, my cheeks felt damp, and though I was not crying, I realized tears were being spun out of my eyes! I didn’t get sick, but I did not feel any desire to try either version out again during our trip this year.

1 Like