Major WDW failure at MK tonight

They weren’t replying to you, they were replying to @ustamills who said that they would never go back to WDW because MK was busy.

Ah that makes sense - my mistake

It’s unusual on forums for replies not to include the quote they are replying to hence it’s sometimes confusing on here

If you start the thread, all your notifications say they are a reply to you, and I agree it’s confusing! If you look at the reply though, it does have the icon of the person who had been replied to. So this will have your icon on the top right.

Please translate for us west of the great pond…

1 Like

A bit rough, common, downmarket is probably the best way to describe it here.

A Slate article on Chavs’ odd fondness for Burberry described them as “tough guys, skanks, soccer hooligans, lower-class unsophisticates, and cheesy celebrities.” How David Beckham is ruining Burberry.

1 Like

Burberry is the essence of chavviness. The word was first used for people who lived on council estates (I don’t know what your equivalent would be. Social housing? Housed by the state and paying low rent basically) and dressed in designer labels. For some reason, this was often Burberry. Reebok trainers are quite chavvy too. Then it spread to what we used to call scallies, which is just your basic yobs. I wouldn’t say the Beckhams were chavvy at all. Danielle Westbrook, who is also mentioned in the article, most definitely is.

Becks and (ahem) “Posh” Spice? Way chavvy, IMO. :wink:

Victoria comes from money. Not chavvy! Not these days anyway. Those thrones at the wedding though…

The Oxford English Dictionary defines chav as an informal British derogatory, meaning “a young lower-class person who displays brash and loutish behaviour and wears real or imitation designer clothes”.

Yep that’s about right.

I did a bit of on-line research and found this:

I was literally laughing out loud reading some of these entries [warning: some adult language]. Yes, we have these in the States - although the fondness for Burberry must be specific to the Anglo sub-species. Here in the States, Burberry is still a “status” brand (that I can’t afford).

1 Like

Probably what we call “subsidized housing”, or in some areas “projects”.

2 Likes

Just as I was getting a handle on this… “scallies” and “yobs”?

Yobs are hooligans, young (usually), loud mouthed, antisocial behaviour. And scallies is a word for them. Or scrotes. But now they all tend to fall under the banner of chavs.

Burberry is expensive here too. But nobody with any taste would wear it.

1 Like

Just to make it clear I think all the kids I saw were good kids I am sure

My point was seeing loads of them sprawled everywhere on the floor eating or texting etc looked “chavvy”

Basically it wasn’t a disney looking scene in amongst frontierland that day!

It wasn’t just gridlock, it was very dangerous. Had there been any kind of panic, the first ones to get hurt or killed would have been the little kids with adults 5x their size packed in all around them. No parent would have been able to stop a crowd like that.

Anyone with a serious medical emergency would have just died, full stop. No emergency crew, short of a helicopter would have been able to get to anyone.

2 hours from park to car is just a symptom of corporate greed. There were too many people in the park for the park facilities (particularly transportation) to handle. This comes from two professionals. I have a strong math and computer science background studying network theory. My wife designed entire road systems and transportation plans for many thousands of military personnel in war time conditions. So I can tell you from a theoretical background and she from an airtight practical background: Disney has screwed people movement up badly. It’s dangerous and a tragedy waiting to happen.

To be clear, this isn’t true about all parks, just MK. I should have said we aren’t going back to MK. I was not clear and would never want to paint the other parks with that same brush. We were delighted with HS, EPCOT, and our resort.

I agree with you entirely. Some people consider it to be “magical” that you can only get to the MK via monorail or boat, but I think it’s a nightmare. I had an experience similar to (but not quite as long as) yours trying to leave the MK during a pre-MVMCP exodus.

1 Like

We had an emergency during HEA. No CM to be found. All streets blocked with people. No pathways. I went in front yelling emergency to clear path. No one moved. Was close to first aid before first CM. Went to guest services after. Was told in emergency dial 911 from your phone. Medical will get gps location. And I guess the solid block of people will magically open a pathway.