"Liners Running In Disney" - runDisney & Training Support Thread

Since so many of us are training for a runDisney 5K, half or full - I thought it would be nice to have a support thread for training and questions & answers. It can be a jungle out there during training time.

15 Likes

Great idea @MeetMeAtThePoly! I’m currently registered for the 5K and 10K during the marathon weekend and for the Glass Slipper Challenge (10K and 1/2) for the Princess weekend. Fun times ahead!

4 Likes

Congrats @Sorcerers_Apprentice! I’m registered for the Wine & Dine Half. Just started the JG plan a couple of weeks ago. Yes, fun times ahead - loved the Princess Half in 2013!

2 Likes

Running TOT 10 miler with my super fast DH and then doing the 1/2 in Jan. and PHM at my own much slower pace. Unless I collapse before then…

3 Likes

@Sing_a_ma_jig_Keli - Ha! Nooooo collapsing. Happy training!

1 Like

I need a home here and I’m a runner (with non specific plans to run a 5K with my BFF at Disney in the future.) Already did my run today…super cool morning for running here in CT.

1 Like

I haven’t signed up for any races as yet but I am doing interval training so that I might be a self-respecting runner one day! @Sing_a_ma_jig_Keli helped me find a great shop in Nashville that sells exercise equipment and I’m loving my new treadmill on these hot/humid days. I still call myself a running “newb” but I"m sticking with it which is half the battle for me.

3 Likes

@maccys_mousehouse, if you ever want a travel and training partner for a runDisney event, I am only an hour away. Just sayin…

3 Likes

Let’s wait until I’m less embarrassing to run with, @Sing_a_ma_jig_Keli! Truly, I feel like I’m starting over now that my constant company has finally left. I feel like I’m not going to be ready enough for my liking in January so I’m shooting further into the future. I will hold you to that offer when the time comes though!

@maccys_mousehouse I’m a run/walker, so don’t feel bad. I don’t have cartilage in my knees so I have to take it easy which translates to a tortoise pace. I’m not going to win any races, but I’ll finish for the bling. :smile:

7 Likes

Great work, everyone! I’m in training right now, too, though not for a runDisney event. I’m doing the Marine Corps Marathon in October - my first full! (Can I still post about that here?) Then have a couple runDisney races in the winter. I’m doing a bit of Galloway run-walk-running and do well on my training runs when I use it. But I’m a little worried about doing that in an actual race. Anyone have experience taking timed walking breaks during a crowded event? :sunny:

4 Likes

You are in Nashville, too, @maccys_mousehouse? We are going to need a big meet!

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat on one of my knees, @BreaSC. I do intervals with JG and am slowly working up my pace. I’ll never be faster than 12/13, I’m afraid.

I’m registered at for the 5K and 10K in January and training with JG. I tried the C25K, but like Jeff much better! Sounds like there will be a bunch of us there for January!

1 Like

I’m not exactly IN Nashville but near enough to drive over and shop for a slick new treadmill!

1 Like

I have never found a Jeff Galloway app for Android so I use C25K. I just looked again and still don’t see anything available for Android :frowning:

2 Likes

My DH, DD19 and I are doing the Jan. 5K for the first time! We went during the marathon this year and loved cheering on the runners. DH is a runner, so it was his idea to go back next year and do a race. I’ve always been a fast walker, but have now I’ve added some jogging to my workouts. I’ll probably have many questions! I’m a little nervous since this will be my first race.

3 Likes

This thread might have sold me on the new forum. Nicely done @meetmeathepoly I’m a fast walker and registered for the Dumbo Double Dare, wine and dine half and wdw marathon

Did 3 miles on Sat and 11 on Sunday for one of the double weekends in Dumbo training and feel surprisingly ok today.

3 Likes

The goal in your first race is to finish…I’d jog what you can and fast walk what you can. If you add a minute of running a week to your workout (so, swap a minute of walking for a minute of jogging in week one, in week two do two minutes of jogging, two less of walking, etc.), you’ll be able to run the whole 5k, just for perspective…

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

1 Like