July Trip Report aka Dining through Disney

@JJT Thanks! She will love it!

@missoverexcited Me, too! I’ve seen the rumors, but I really hope it’s a VR coaster like Kraken at Sea World.

I’m hoping I can get our last day written up tomorrow. No school for me due to hurricane Harvey. We are on the east side of Houston, but we are on the “dirty” side of the storm where all the rain will be. Started the week with a solar eclipse and ending it with a hurricane… Mother Nature definitely has a sense of humor.

1 Like

Thanks for your report, this sort of in depth experience is really helpful for first timers (eg I would have ordered the pastie otherwise!) and I looove reading food descriptions. Also sounds like Hulk coaster is not as scary as I thought so that’s good!

Hulk is an incredibly smooth roller coaster

One of the best in the world I imagine

Agreed, especially since the refurb.

That’s good - the Unofficial Guide makes it sound like you’re thrown around. A smooth fast ride I can handle!

Rip Ride Rockit really throws you around though. I love coasters but I only do that once a day because you are smashing your head off the sides.

@kadmgs, great trip report as usual. Your descriptions are so clear I feel like I’m there! I hope you and your wife are OK in Houston!! It’s been a horrible week for Texas.

Yes I hope they are ok. I was concerned for them -what an awful thing to come back to.

Thanks everyone for checking on us. We are safe and dry, but unfortunately so many of our friends and family were not as lucky. I had former students who had to be air evacuated by the coast guard when the bayou near their homes rose 5+ ft out of it’s banks. My former school had 1 foot of water in it and it will be at least two weeks if not longer before they are back. We spent yesterday getting supplies and taking them to the school district’s relief center. It was amazing to see the outpouring of support for that community. It’s just a microcosm of what is going on all over Southeast Texas. Here’s an interesting look at what Harvey’s path of destruction would have covered in other states. Maps show what Harvey's impact would look like in other U.S. states

Writing about our fun vacation just doesn’t seem important right now. I’m about to go deliver food to one of my co-workers who flooded, so this is going to be short.

As for our final day at Universal, it was more of the same. We went back and rode the rides we liked again as well as a few in UOR that we didn’t get to. E.T. the ride is creepy and I’m an 80’s kid. I saw it in the movie theater. We ate at Hot Dog Hall of Fame in Citywalk. It was good. We love hot dogs and are huge fans of Sabrett from our travels to NYC. We were disappointed the frank was skinless. It didn’t have that snap that a frank from Gray’s Papaya has. We were tired of theme park food by the time dinner came around, so we decided to use a gift card a student had given me for the Darden Restaurants. We don’t have Bahama Breeze in Houston, yet. We decided to give it a try and were pleasantly surprised. We went to the location on Lake Buena Vista Drive. It’s caribbean and we enjoyed it. Lots of great fruity drinks. The food was good. Honestly, I don’t remember what we ordered, but I do remember it being good.

We had an smooth trip home and were glad to see our kitties as they were to see us. Our dogs were with my mom, so it was another day before we were able to go get them.

Thanks everyone for reading this and all the positive feedback. Now it’s time to start preparing for our trip in November, but right now I am so torn about it. I feel really guilty spending the money on another trip when so many are in such terrible shape around here.

Thanks again for checking on us! I really appreciate it.

3 Likes

Ouch!

1 Like

Exactly! DS does it 3 times in a row though.