How safe is Disney credit card data?

We just got back yesterday from a week long stay at WDW only to be greeted by a message on our home answering machine from my credit card company’s fraud department. It seems some unauthorized charges were made to our account while we were in Orlando. I should have been more suspicious because we got an urgent call from the Beach Club’s front desk before check out that our Folio expenses were rejected by the credit card company. When I called the credit card company I was routed thru an automated system to authorize Disney’s charges, and did not speak to a live person at that time. The Disney cast member speculated that since I did not call the credit card ahead of time to let them know we were traveling to Florida, they probably put a hold on the charges. I though that ironic as we used a Disney credit card. Well anyway, the cast member was wrong. It seems a hold was placed on my card due to a suspicious charge by someone else a day before Disney processed our expenses. We’ve been to Disney 4 times in the last 5 years, and this is the 3rd time out of those 4 visits that I’ve gotten a call from the card’s fraud dept. while at WDW. I know it is hard, if not impossible to track down the source of credit card fraud but this time Disney is the ONLY place I used our credit card in the last 3 weeks. And then it was only at the resort to pay for the expenses we racked up using the magic bands. Everything else was cash. My wife’s quick reaction was, “maybe we’ve been to Disney enough.” Not sure she is wrong as we are getting real tired of the pattern. Are we alone with this problem?

1 Like

Often times the fraudulent transactions occur long after they get your card numbers, so it may not be Disney related.

1 Like

A group of us were hit using the ATM machine in the BC lobby in February. I called and reported that machine and a liner reported it to the BC manager.

After that liner advised me to only use my MB. Did you use your MB?

1 Like

I tried to buy gas with my credit card and it was declined, and the company immediately called me to inform me they shut down my card due to fraudelent activity. I asked them what it was, and he said “someone just tried to use it at a speedway in Orlando”. I told him it was me and it was Ok, and he said they don’t allow any orlando transactions anymore unless I call before hand and tell them when I’ll be there, because the fraud is so bad down there. We’re there actual charges on your card or was it just shut off?

1 Like

About 24 hours after I used the BC ATM my debit card was hit for over $900. I think I took the biggest hit but other liners were involved as well. The charges for us were not in Orlando- they used the numbers in another part of Florida.

1 Like

The lobby ATM … how brazen! We only used the MB. The charge account was suspended due to an actual charge getting thru, but they let the BC expenses go thru after I called about that specific charge. Didn’t know about the other one at that time. When I got home and confirmed the previous charge was unauthorized, Visa cancelled the account. Last year I didn’t know there was a problem until we tried to pay for the airport parking fees on the trip home. I’ve long since stopped using a credit card to pay for gas after learning how vulnerable gas station pumps are to card skimmers.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! I am concerned that they still got to you even though you only used your MB. I guess only cash is truly safe in the world but I could never bring enough of that!

1 Like

That’s pretty crazy. I’ve already purchased one of those RFID blocking wallets in anticipation of my travel this summer. But I guess I need to get my family on board with using their magic bands for purchases, or Apple Pay. As for cash, I don’t know what we’ll do there yet. I normally don’t travel with much cash at all, hopefullyI won’t need any.

2 Likes

I hear ya there! I’m debating about whether or not to even bring credit cards with me- I’ll have cash and DGC’s to cover everything, but most of the cash I’m bringing I intend to use for tips (MDE, Mousekeeping, dining). Last time I was down there that’s what I used and it worked out great. The only card I anticipate needing is the one that I booked CRT with- we now have the dining plan and need to have the cost refunded to use credits for the meal- but I may be able to do that over the phone.

2 Likes

[quote=“PrincipalTinker, post:7, topic:35307, full:true”]
I am concerned that they still got to you even though you only used your MB. [/quote]

Me too. Those bands came out after our 1st incident at Disney 4 years ago and I was so glad to see them as I assumed using the credit card only with MDE was much more secure. Since Disney isn’t in the news about data breaches the way other companies are these days, I’m left speculating if this is a result of dishonest individual employees, or totally unrelated to Disney & and a complete coincidence with our trips. But the pattern for us is disturbing. If we go again, I will definitely call Disney’s 800 number first and ask about non-credit card options reserving rooms.

BTW, I have an RFID blocking wallet too, and it set off the metal detectors at the monorail’s security stations. When I asked a cast member what they were searching for with the bag checks, she responded “mouse traps and poison apples.” I almost missed getting on the monorail laughing so hard ! :laughing:

4 Likes

The highest risk places to use a credit or debit card is the pay-at-pump card scanners at gas stations. Orlando is one of the highest risk cities. We got hit when we filled up the rental car on the way to the airport. But we also got hit here at home - though we do live in a tourist town.

Never EVER use a card to pay at pump. Go inside. It’s worth taking a few extra steps and maybe waiting in a line a few minutes. The card skimmers are everywhere, and getting harder and harder to detect.

On my last trip, I called Amex to let them know that I would be using my card out of state. They said they already knew, due to the purchase of airline tickets with Orlando as the destination. Same thing for our Hawaii trip. Also, I have the Amex app on my phone that sends a notification anytime the card is used. Chase has one too that will alert when the Disney Visa is used.

2 Likes

One option you have if you’re looking at a non credit card room reservation- Disney Vacation Accounts. I have one that I booked my upcoming trips on- I pay into the DVA and then when you get the account number you use that (it’s essentially a DGC) to book/pay for your room. Even if you have a room only reservation, you can call before you leave and pre pay the entire balance before you get to Orlando.

I’m sorry all this happened to you on your trips- that’s very discouraging.

1 Like

Yes, I had a chip in my debit card too.

1 Like

I have had fraud against my Disney Visa many times. They are the best at replacing the card quickly. I love how fast they respond. I get an email asking to verify purchase and I can hit accept or decline. They usually overnight me a new credit card. Also once when the DH was travelling it happened at home and they authorized only his card to use while he was away. I love them.

I had charges on my card after a trip. I believe my card was skimmed when we bought gas. They didn’t charge a ton but it was a chore getting it fixed.

My mum only used her card in the cash point at AOA and when we got home she noticed that charges had been made in Texas. After we landed in the UK so the company did refund her and luckily they didn’t get much because it was a prepaid travel card with no credit. I used mine all over Disney but using my magic band not the physical card and had no problems

1 Like

I have heard stories of people at the parks with RFID readers. The blocking wallet is a good idea.

RFID blocking wallets are a scam - Why you don't need an RFID blocking wallet | CSO Online

2 Likes

I had a similar problem last year on vacation in Hawai’i; all but one of our cards were declined at the grocery store near our condo complex. I spent the rest of that evening online with all of our card companies letting them know we were, in fact, on vacation.

The part about gas station skimmers is valid; you probably want to use a unique card for those transactions.

I have rfid blocking sleeves, cheap ones from Amazon, because I keep by contactless debit and credit cards in the same purse along with my contactless travel card and a) how I held my purse once registered my credit card while I was getting my debit card out and b) since the London underground changed to allow payment via contactless bank cards having to select a sleeve is a physical reminder of which one I’ve used ( if you tap out at the end of your journey with a different card they charge you the maximum journey on both). So it’s useful to me but not because I’m scared of random criminals stealing my data from them