Hoop Dee Do Review or something else?

Howdy folks! My husband and I are returning to Walt Disney World this June without the kids in tow! I am beyond excited to have an opportunity to experience WDW without having to worry about naps, kid-friendly food, pool-time, etc. I’m quickly finding that planning a trip with my kids needs put first is a breeze compared to thinking through what the husband and I genuinely like and want to do and/or try. One of the ideas I’m toying with is booking us for a Hoop-Dee-Do musical revue dinner show. I had my eye on this for our last trip, but opted instead for a dessert fireworks party as I figured the kids would like that more. I would love to hear from anyone who has tried this show as to what the performances are like, the food is like, and whether it is worth the cost. The husband isn’t as over-the-top nuts about Disney as I am and almost lost his mind when he saw the bill for our kids’ Pirates League experience. (To quote him, “You paid how much to get their faces painted?!?”) So, I’m trying to get a feel for how good the show is before I commit. Thank you so much for your thoughts!

2 Likes

HDDR never gets a bad review :slight_smile: And for the money it’s worth it for the dinner and show you get to enjoy, including bottomless beer, wine, and sangria.

That said, I’m not sure it would be tops on my list of dining experiences I would choose to have on a getaway with my sweetie pie. It all depends on the kinds of dates your looking for, but I might like to do something more quiet, intimate (and dare I say civilized LOL) when leaving the kids behind.

3 Likes

Hoop-Dee-Do is definitely fun and the food is good.

1 Like

We love it. The show is cheesy but fun, with audience interaction and a few will be chosen to go up for part of it.

The food is brought to your table, and you can ask for more of whatever you fancy. Salad and cornbread, then chicken, beans, mashed potatoes, corn I think. Decent, better than most buffets imo. The strawberry shortcake is delicious :grinning: Your server will start by asking what you want to drink, and will then usually react appropriately, as in once DH and DS both asked for beer, he brought a pitcher to the table! Good value for the unlimited drinks alone.

We always it downstairs but the cast also go upstairs and there’s a good view from there too, although at larger tables some will have their backs to the stage.

Definitely use Disney transport to get there!

1 Like

FYI Minnie Van driver told us that Minnie Vans are allowed all the way in to Pioneer Hall! Good use of the service if you’re not near a boat to FW

1 Like

@OBNurseNH - We definitely have some nicer dinners planned together during our stay, but I’d also like to do something a bit more special while we are paying for 2 rather than 5. When we did the fireworks dessert party during our last trip, I think DH would have enjoyed it more if he hadn’t been so focus on how much it cost for all five of us to participate in it…especially when the kiddos ate like birds. I’m trying to avoid a repeat of that experience where I’m excited for a bit of extra magic, but he is doesn’t feel like the cost is worth it. Is there anything else that you have done at Disney that you would recommend?

How about a tour? I just did the Marceline to Magic Kingdom tour and felt it was WELL worth the $49 for the three hour tour.

Hmm…I haven’t heard of that. I’ll have to look into it for sure. Thank you so much for the tip!

1 Like

We did HDDR kid-less and had a blast. It’s very cheesy, so I’m not sure how your husband would feel, but if he’s not having a good time…give him more beer.

1 Like

I agree with others that Hoop Dee Do is fantastic and I have done it with just my husband pre-kids, but as a Mom now, I feel like there are lots of other places I’d rather go sans-kids than Hoop Dee Do. Spa day? Round of golf? Cali Grill Brunch?

3 Likes

Oh man you’re singin my song right there @melcort10

:pig: out!!

2 Likes

Hoop Dee Do is cheesy, low class, simple and downright stupid. I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. It is cheesy fun. The food is simple but I enjoyed (not a big fan of the desert) but loved the fried chicken. Beer is also complementary (no craft - just bud or coors or something like that) but hey beer is beer.

To save some money - choose sections 2 or 3. The place is NOT big - so any seat will do just fine and a little less $$$.

If he can let his hair down a little bit - this could be a lot of fun. You may also want to go in a decidedly different way and do a HIGH END restaurant if his / your tastes are more on the refined side.

1 Like

I’m in the minority, but I’m not a fan; it’s just not my style of music and entertainment, and although the food is OK, there is so much available that is so much better. But it’s a matter of taste. It was one and done for me.

1 Like

This made me laugh out loud! Thank you for your feedback and the tip on saving money. We are definitely not high end people. I was toying with doing a brunch at California Grill, but when I saw the price tag it instantly became a no for us (which is such a bummer because the brunch looked amazing!). I may watch a video to get a better feel for the show and then decide whether we would both enjoy it. Thanks!

1 Like

Maybe the Sprit of Aloha show is more to your liking. This is at Poly.

1 Like

Haha was surprised it wasn’t your suggestion!

1 Like

So isn’t Cali Grill Brunch $80pp and Hoop is $69pp (cat 2)? I don’t think that’s a huge price difference! The quality of food is also on a different wavelength.

1 Like

It isn’t a huge price difference, but I feel like with HDDR you get a meal and a 90 two hour show/experience where as with CG you get brunch and, I believe, the option to come back and watch fireworks from the GC patio (maybe I’m misremembering that).

I actually got picked up at Pioneer Hall when we were there in Dec, so I can confirm this is true.

1 Like

I agree with completely! My hubby and I both loved it! It may give him more of an appreciation for WDW and what it meant to Walt.

If you have a Disney Visa Credit Card you get a 10 percent discount.

My hubby said this was his favorite thing we did when we went.

With that being said…the HDDR is so fun and the food is really good, if you like Fried Chicken and Ribs you won’t be disappointed!

2 Likes