Early Morning Flight...am i crazy?

We’re doing a very early morning flight to Orlando. It’s the first plane ride for our kiddos & admittedly, we aren’t sure how it will go. But, the deal was good & we do like the idea of getting to Florida early. We’re taking our kids on the plane probably in their pajamas to help them associate it with sleep. If they don’t sleep on the plane, maybe they will on the Magical Express. But even if not, our first night is scheduled to be an ‘earlier to bed’ night, so here’s hoping it works out.

We’re taking a 6 am flight for our trip next April with a 5 and 7 year old from JFK. I’m not sure how they will handle the early morning travel, but I would like to do a partial park day at maybe Epcot. We’re going to keep our expectations low for how much we will actually get do our first day.

1 Like

Is the night before an option? Then you can sleep a little and still be at disney early… I know my kids would be super cranky because they wouldn’t sleep on the plane— if yours would it could work!

The best thing about those early flights is that the plane is already at the airport from the night before and you usually get off the ground on time. The later you get in the morning, the more chance for delays and then your first day could be shot, before you even leave home.

I always choose the early flight and roll the dice on how productive we’ll be later in the day.

1 Like

That’s good point!

We’ve always chosen the early flight b/c of advantages stated ^. But 5:15 for us would be beyond early. As mentioned, you’d have to be at airport around 4am. If leaving house 1 hr away, that’s 3am. So getting up around 1:30 or so. That sounds to me like a sleepless night for sure.

Our early flight this trip is around 6:30. Staying airport hotel (best deal was at airport some distance away). Easy peasy shuttle to plane, direct flight from this airport with SW. Love that.

2 Likes

See my trip report from today with my thoughts on this.

2 Likes

This is my advice all the time. Last Sept for MNSSHP we went against my own advice and to quote you “WE WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN!!” A much better overall experience to fly in later, settle in, nice dinner, and early bed. Makes it much easier to hit it hard the next day.

4 Likes

Yes! We almost changed our flights today because we could arrive super early versus what we have which is arrive in time for dinner and an early bed. BUT we arrived early last time (super early flight with DD8 and DS4) and we were all tired and cranky the next day and the day after that! Nope, I’ll “lose” a day to enjoy the rest

3 Likes

The interesting thing is, instead of “losing” a day, we gain a lovely afternoon, a delightful evening, and a solid night’s sleep! Win win win!

1 Like

Our airline changed our flight so now it’s super early, and landing at about 10am. Once we to the Poly we are going to eat, explore, relax poolside and take a quick trip to MK to meet Cinderella and Mickey and back to the room by 6pm to crash for the night. Wish us luck!! Lol

2 Likes

We’re doing a 7:05 flight, but it’s the only non-stop option. Everything else would have been 5-8 hours. It will be our 2 year old’s first flight, so I’d be nervous no matter what the situation was.

1 Like

We take the red eye from LAX to get to MCO every trip. My kids sleep on the plane though.

Usually room is ready by 11am, so it’s never been an issue as far as tired kids and all that. However our last trip our cabin (Ft wilderness) wasn’t ready until after 4pm! We didn’t get there until then, and we were TIRED by that point. I was more worried it wouldn’t be ready by the time my other guests had arrived.

But my kids are older, 12, 14, 16 (and 19, but he’s off the travel payroll now), and they can hit the ground running when we get there. Plus we have APs, so if we don’t get a lot done it’s not like we won’t be back. I just plan a light day for arrival day.

I prefer the red eye. Just easier and I sleep on the plane anyway.

1 Like