Disneyland Hong Kong trip report - June 2014

Hi All – This is my trip report from a trip to Disneyland Hong Kong this summer. I posted this exact report on Chat this summer, but since @outer1 asked to see it, I’m sharing again on the forum.

Overall: DLHK is cute, smaller and more compact, even smaller than DLR. It’s very much a park for HK locals and visitors from the Chinese mainland. The guests were overwhelmingly Chinese, I maybe saw 6 other westerners.

I went on a Sunday, and seemed to be a lot of guests coming late in the day (like me, I was only there from around 3-9). I think they have a lot of annual passholders who treat it as a day trip from HK.

Getting there: taking the metro from downtown HK was incredibly easy, cleanest and easiest metro system I’ve ever been on. The DLHK stop is a spur off a main line, so that train only goes back and forth to the DLHK station.

The train must be run by Disney cause, it’s a Mickey train!! This was one of my favorite parts of the whole trip. @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Mickey train to Disneyland Hong Kong" @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Mickey handles on the Mickey train to Disneyland Hong Kong" @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Fancy seating and Snow White statue on the train to Disneyland Hong Kong" @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Detail at Disneyland Hong Kong station"

Entrance to the park looks similar @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Welcome sign" @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Entrance side of train station in the park"

Main Street USA is kind of sad. It’s short and half is behind a scrim, I don’t know how it’s been like this. The stores and restaurants are very similar. @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Main street USA at Disneyland Hong Kong. Yes, the right side of the street is behind a scrim"

Castle reminded me a lot of the one in DLR, pretty small, but cute. @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Castle at Disneyland Hong Kong" @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Back view of castle at night. Disneyland Hong Kong"

I was only there 3 hours, so tried to get to see what they don’t have anywhere else. DL HK has 3 mini lands that are only there. One is Grizzly Gulch, with a coaster that is GREAT. Like a super BTMRR with a long backwards section.

Grizzly Gulch @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Grizzly Gulch coaster at Disneyland Hong Kong" @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Grizzly Gulch land at Disneyland Hong Kong" @grownuplilo on Instagram: ""Geyser" in Grizzly Gulch land at Disneyland Hong Kong"

Toy Story Land is another DL HK only land. I didn’t ride any of the rides as they were all pretty basic carnival rides. The theming was fantastic. @grownuplilo on Instagram: ""Geyser" in Grizzly Gulch land at Disneyland Hong Kong" @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Yes, I took a picture of the bathroom sign in Toy Story land at Disneyland Hong Kong, it was just so cute." @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Toy Story land at Disneyland Hong Kong"

And you can get MANGO Dole Whips there. With toppings. I got mine with strawberry boba and green apple jelly. @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Mango dole whip at Disneyland Hong Kong" @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Mango dole whip at Disneyland Hong Kong"

Last unique land was Mystic Manor, which is just a ride, garden and restaurant. Outside of Mystic Manor @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Mystic Manor outside at Disneyland Hong Kong" Queue area for ride @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Mystic Manor queue area at Disneyland Hong Kong"

Mystic Manor ride is INCREDIBLE. Premise is you’re in an explorer’s house and he’s found a magic music box, and when his monkey friend, Albert, opens the box, the artifacts in the house come to life. Blurry ride pic @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Blurry ride photo from Mystic Manor at Disneyland Hong Kong"

The ride uses trackless vehicles controlled via computer, which is very cool technology – they can position the cars to give you the exact view of the effect they want. Pic of ride vehicles @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Trackless vehicles at Mystic Manor in Disneyland Hong Kong"

I’ve never seen FOF parade at WDW, so I have no idea if these floats are duplicates or not. But the parade at DLHK seemed really short, like 8 floats with a few dancers between.
Pooh float @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Pooh float during Festival of Fantasy parade at Disneyland Hong Kong" Combo Lion King-Jungle Book float @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Combo Lion King and Jungle Book float at Festival of Fantasy parade at Disneyland Hong Kong"
Stitch float (who is pretty popular over there) @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Stitch float during Festival of Fantasy parade at Disneyland Hong Kong" Toy Story float http://instagram.com/p/o80ze_OkUt/http://instagram.com/p/o80ze_OkUt/

Princess float was just 4 princess on a swan float. In general, not much princess presence in the parks. Maybe 1 princess M&G? @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Princesses on a swan float during the festival of Fantasy parade at Disneyland Hong Kong"

Space mountain had some cool planets and stars in the ride which was cool but the ambient light means you could see ahead of you @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Loading area for Space Mountain at Disneyland Hong Kong"

Tomorrowland at night @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Tomorrowland themingg at night. Disneyland Hong Kong" @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Disneyland Hong Kong like astro orbiter with UFOs"

I’ve now rode 4 versions of IASW, they’re all pretty much the same, but HK has characters in the ride, like DLR. And pretty lights outside @grownuplilo on Instagram: "It's a small world at Disneyland Hong Kong"

Food - there were plenty of options, a mix of Chinese and western food (and others cuisines too). I was craving non-Chinese food at that point, so had “fish and chips” @grownuplilo on Instagram: ""Fish and chips" at Royal Hall restaurant at Disneyland Hong Kong"

Royal Banquet Hall restaurant rivals BOG for prettiest CS restaurant @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Royal banquet hall restaurant at Disneyland Hong Kong"

Souvenirs - I bought a lot. Excited to wear the hat and ears in the US parks to show off :slight_smile: and the little monkey is Albert from the Mystic Manor ride @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Souvenirs from Disneyland Hong Kong"

I got the Dooney and Bourke tote bag for 70% off! I didn’t believe it was a real bag that heavily discounted but it was. It turned out to be about $70 US.

Fireworks! The display wasn’t as grand as the US parks, but they had fun spinners on the castle. Also, it was so hot and humid the smoke just stayed there, so I got the coolest fireworks pic @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Fireworks at Disneyland Hong Kong"

See ya real soon! @grownuplilo on Instagram: "Farewell sign at Disneyland Hong Kong"

5 Likes

Thank you so much for posting that. Sounds like a really fun trip and those trackless vehicles are really cool. They use them in the ratatouille ride in Paris. Hoping they put one of those in with the new sections in HS.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Hadn’t heard a whole lot about this park. Definitely looks more like Disneyland than any other park I’m familiar with. I’d really love to see Mystic Manor, but don’t see myself going to Hong Kong anytime soon, so it’s good to hear from those who were there.

What were crowds/wait times like?

1 Like

Crowds weren’t bad at all, park felt really open at times. Wait times were weird, like at one point wait for the carousel was 30 min and mystic manor was a walk on. With only one day there it was hard to get a sense of what rides are most popular with their regular guests. Also, only two rides had fast pass- Space and Pooh.

1 Like

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Great Trip Report

Both the castle and iasw appear to be carbon copies of the DLR versions - at least on the outside.

There are rumors that the Pixar Place expansion at DHS will be modeled heavily on the Toy Story Land in DHK.

Mystic Manor and Ratatouille both have 5-year exclusivity contracts at their respective parks, so a copy of either is a ways down the road for WDW. I don’t know if the ride system itself has any restrictions.

I watched a YouTube video of Grizzly Gulch and it looks awesome.

The FoF floats appear to be completely unique to DHK - at least they are completely different than in WDW.

Again, thanks for the report. I’ve been to HK, but LONG before DL; liklihood of ever going back is slim to nil. Loved the report.

1 Like