Disney World Devotions for Christian Families

Lots of liners have asked me about the daily devotions I talk about in my family trip report (still incomplete a year later, but I’m trying). So I thought I’d share them with anyone interested.

Before our family trip last year, I put together some short, Bible devotions for our family. We read them each day in our room or on Disney Transportation to prepare our hearts in gratitude and worship to God for the gift of a once-in-a-lifetime family vacation.

I had only written them in bullet point form for my own use, so now I’m going back over them one-by-one to fill in the gaps and to make them readable. Here’s the first. Enjoy.

Disney World, Here We Come!
A Family Devotion for the First Day of Vacation

It’s finally here! Today we pack up and go to Walt Disney World!

We’ve been anxiously counting down the days since we first decided to go. 45 days ‘til Disney… 20 days ‘til Disney… 3 days! 2 days!! TOMORROW!!!

Every idle moment has been filled with thoughts about this amazing journey we’re about to take—and we simply can’t contain our excitement!

Discussion Question: What are you most excited about our trip, and why?

God designed us to get excited about cool things, many of which we’ll see at Disney World. He gave us a natural curiosity to explore and study His creation. He gave us music, laughter, science, taste buds and delicious food. He gave us amazing family and friends that make us so happy we could burst!

But most importantly, because of the gospel, He gave us the opportunity to know Him and to be with Him forever.

Going to Disney World can be pretty exciting, but think for a second how much more excited we’ll be on that glorious day when we get to enter Heaven and meet Jesus face to face!

The apostles were so excited about going to Heaven that they hardly had words to describe it.

• Paul said, “But, as it is written, ‘What no eye has seen, nor ear
    heard, nor the heart of man imagined,’ what God has prepared for
    those who love him.” (1 Corinthians 2:9)
  • Peter talked about how incredibly perfect it is, that we can look
    forward to, “an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and
    unfading, kept in heaven for you.” (1 Peter 1:4)

Even more exciting than what Heaven will look like, is who will be waiting to greet us—the Lord Jesus Himself. Jesus said, “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.” (John 14:3)

Discussion Question: What are you most excited about in Heaven, and why?

Jesus is creating an incredible place for you and me to enjoy His grace and presence together forever. And even though Disney World is going to be pretty cool, it will pale in comparison to Heaven’s unending beauty. Praise the Lord!!

Prayer: Jesus, as we enjoy all the fun at Disney World over the next few days, help us to remember that you have given us so much more to look forward to. Thank you for preparing an amazing home for us in Heaven. Thank you that you came to die on the cross and rose again so that we could join you there someday. - Amen

15 Likes

Love this. Thank you!

2 Likes

Here’s a devotion to start your family’s day in the Magic Kingdom!

To All Who Come to this Happy Place…
A Family Devotion for Disney’s Magic Kingdom

Read the Magic Kingdom’s opening day dedication: Walt Disney World is a tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney… and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney’s dream come true. May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place … a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn — together. - Roy Oliver Disney, October 25, 1971

Today, we’re going to play inside a magical kingdom. In this kingdom there are spacemen, cowboys, fairies, princes, beauties and beasts. And of course, there’s a castle!

Discussion Question: If you were king of the magic kingdom, what wonderful things would you add to it?

If you count the number of times Disney’s name is mentioned in the dedication above, it’s plain to see whose kingdom this is, right?

Unfortunately, the king of the magic kingdom is not alive anymore. For those of us who remember seeing “Uncle Walt” on TV, we feel a little sweet sadness when we come to this happy place.

The truth is, all kings die. All kingdoms come to an end. But there is one kingdom that will never come to an end—The Kingdom of God.

“The Kingdom of God” is what Jesus called those of us who believe in Him, worship Him, and obey His commands. His subjects love Him, care for the needs of the hurting, and invite others to join the greatest Kingdom of all!

Discussion Question: What makes “The Kingdom of God” better than all other kingdoms?

The Bible tells us a lot about The Kingdom of God:

• It’s the greatest Kingdom - “The LORD has established his throne in
    the heavens, and his kingdom rules over all.” (Psalm 13:19)
  • We’re all welcome - (Jesus) said to them, “Let the children come to
    me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.”
    (Mark 10:14)
  • It’s here now - “…for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of
    you.” (Luke 17:21b)
  • It will never end - “…the LORD sits enthroned as king forever.” Psalm
    29:10b

That’s incredible news! When you believe in Jesus, and make Him the King of your life, you are part of The Kingdom of God now and forever. Then, the way you see the world, the way you treat others, and the joy you feel in your heart will make the world a better place… today!

Jesus said, “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added to you.” (Matthew 6:33) You don’t have to buy a ticket. You don’t have to wait in line! You only need to bow your knee to and pledge your loyalty to the true King, King Jesus.

Prayer: King Jesus, we thank you for creating a new kind of kingdom that we can enter today! Thank you for being a wise, fair, and kind King. We echo your great words when we ask for your Kingdom to come, your will to be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Amen

6 Likes

send us more, please

2 Likes

Here’s a fun devotion and discussion for you and your family before you enjoy Epcot for the day.

Tomorrow’s Incredible Plans
A Family Devotion for Epcot Park

Read Epcot’s opening day dedication: To all who come to this place of joy, hope of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all. May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man’s ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere in the world. —E. Cardon Walker, October 24, 1982

Walt Disney had an amazing plan for the future. He envisioned a fantastic city designed to provide the very best communication, transportation, and innovation mankind could imagine. This futuristic city promised to empower us to achieve all of our hopes and dreams. It would be called EPCOT, the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow.

Discussion Question: If you were planning to build a perfect city, what new ideas would you want to share with the world?

However, after Walt Disney passed away, the plans for EPCOT fell apart. Without his enthusiasm and leadership, the dream screeched to a halt, and those who came after him weren’t able see it through. Epcot Park (notice the slight name change), as we know it today, is quite different than the “EPCOT” Walt Disney had planned.

Discussion Question: Have any of your plans ever failed? What happened?

It’s not a bad thing to make plans. In fact, the Bible encourages us to work hard and make plans for ourselves and for others.

• “The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty.” (Proverbs 21:5)

Still, God’s Word cautions us to lean on Him when making plans of our own. If we don’t include Him in our plans, our plans are ultimately doomed to fail.

• “Unless the LORD builds the house,
    those who build it labor in vain.” (Psalm 127:1a)

So be happy! God has amazing plans for the future of His creation. Proverbs 19:21 says, “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.” That means that God’s plans are good, God’s plans will be completed, and God’s plans will last forever.

Prayer: Father God, we might be disappointed in the plans of others, and we may be frustrated when our own plans crash and burn. But when we put our trust in You, we know we will never be disappointed. We believe that You will accomplish Your wonderful plans, both now and forever. Amen

5 Likes

Beautiful! Great job!

1 Like

Just want to say way later that I’ve come back to this thread a few times and it’s been an excellent encouragement, and “reset button” to remind me to worship the Creator, and enjoy His creation.

4 Likes

Wow! I’m so glad it could be an encouragement to you @ejj . My heart is honor Him, even in my amusement. With all the amazing stuff at Disney, it’s easy to leave God at home. Wouldn’t it be even more amazing if families included Him in their ‘magical’ days?

3 Likes

Wow. It’s been 2 years since I wrote this stuff and I finally added it to my blog. If you’re interested in reading the whole series of devotions for Disney, I posted them here. I hope to add more, even devotions for each land, movies, characters, and other Disney topics as time goes by. Thanks again for your positive feedback. http://freddymartin.net/disney-devotions/

2 Likes