***no longer working for Target** Discounted Disney GC stacking Raise/Target or Raise/Sam's

**Target Stacking no longer works in the same Fashion (as of 8/17/16)

The below processes are outdated and need to be updated. I do believe there are still opportunities for stacking especially with the Walmart/Sam’s path but the below process is no longer working as stated. I hope to tweak and get a new tested process out soon.

Update 8/17/16

*******lots of reports of issues with ebates and swagbucks and some reports and rumors that target is no longer letting Target GC to be used as payment for Disney GC. Wording on target site now no longer says “entertainment card”. Many orders are being cancelled. Caution folks! I have about $600 that I needed to use still. I might try in the store tonight. Hopefully that is not closed too!

Buying discounted Disney Gift cards and stacking discounts. UPDATED 10/8/15 for changes to Ebates/Raise relationship and tricks to getting around the “no ebates credit on gift card purchases”

I fund my Disney Vacation Account almost exclusively using Disney Gift cards I have purchased for a discount. Here are the basic steps to the process I use. There are other variations so don’t be surprised if someone else does it a little differently or adds another way to save money. My method saves me between 10-15% usually.
Side note: I have also done this with some airline GC (Southwest Airlines specifically)

Target process (online only)

1. Sign up for Ebates and Swagbucks (or another online commission sharing company)

2.  Sign up for Target red card (credit or debit)

3. Purchase discounted secondary market gift cards (Target) from a gift card reseller using the link from Swagbucks. I use Raise.com most of the time. But see end of post for some of the others available

Discount summary this step
• Swagbucks to Raise purchases get you 1% swagbucks
• Target discounted cards vary but should be between 4-8% off

1. Register for a Target account and enter your red card as the default payment.

2. Enter a Target shopping trip via Ebates.

3. Place Disney gift cards into your cart. Current limit is 3 valued at $100 and 4 valued at $50. I often add a small non exempt item to the cart to get the amount to post automatically to my ebates account (clothing, housewares, etc) The small print on ebates say no cash back on gift card purchases but with the extra item it flies under the radar. Proceed to check out. Make sure your Red card is the default payment.

4. Chose pay with a gift card. Enter and apply up to 4 gift cards at a time.

5. You should see your 5% red card discount and NO taxes or shipping fees. Some have reported taxes being charged or the discount not showing. If that happened clear all your cookies/history and try again.

Discount Summary this step
• Target red card 5%
• Ebates to Target 1-2% refund

1. At this point, you can use your Disney gift cards straight or if you would like to add another 2% (per $1000 spent) for Disney Vacation Account approved purchases, you can open a DVA to deposit your gift cards. There are limitations to the withdrawals from the DVA so make sure to review the usage agreement.
    • I use my Disney Vacation Account in the following ways:
    o Purchasing my admission tickets directly from Disney (I have found none of the third party sellers beat the discount GC saving of around 15% but do the match to make sure for you)
    o Paying my room only costs
    o Every 90 days I withdrawal, $1000 gift card to be used for food and misc purchases on my vacation

Discount/Return Summary this step
• For the room and ticket costs ,I get a Disney Reward Card for 2% of each $1000 spent
• *you don’t get any return on the funds withdrawn onto the $1000 gift card I do this only to combine my smaller gift cards. So people prefer to combine via another method.

Walmart/Sam’s method (online or in-person)

1. Sign up for Ebates/Swagbucks (or another online commission sharing company)
  2. Get or already have a Sam’s membership
  3. Purchase discounted secondary market gift cards (Wal-Mart) from a gift card reseller using the link from Swagbucks. I use Raise.com most of the time.

Discount summary this step
• Swagbucks to Raise purchases get you 1% refund
• Wal-Mart discounted cards vary but should be between 2-6% off

1. Enter a shopping trip to Sam’s via Ebates
  2. Sam’s sells $150 GC bundles at a little less than 5% off. Enter the max into your card. The most I have been able to do at once has been 6
  3. Select to pay with a gift card. You can use up to 4.

Discount Summary this step
• Sam’s discount ~5%
• Ebates to Sam’s 1-2% refund

1. At this point, you can use your Disney gift cards straight or if you would like to add another 2% (per $1000 spent) for Disney Vacation Account approved purchases, you can open a DVA to deposit your gift cards. There are limitations to the withdrawals from the DVA so make sure to review the usage agreement.
    • I use my Disney Vacation Account in the following ways:
    o Purchasing my admission tickets directly from Disney (I have found none of the third party sellers beat the discount GC saving of around 15% but do the math to make sure for you)
    o Paying my room only costs
    o Every 90 days I withdrawal, $1000 gift card to be used for food and misc purchases on my vacation

Discount/Return Summary this step
• For the room and ticket costs ,I get a Disney Reward Card for 2% of each $1000 spent
*You don’t get any return on the funds withdrawn onto the $1000 gift card I do this only to combine my smaller gift cards. So people prefer to combine via another method

Gift Card Bin
SaveYa
GiftCards.com
CardFlip
Junkcard
Gift Card Rescue
eBay
Card Kangaroo
ABC Gift Cards
Gift Card Spread
PayMore Stores
Monster Gift Card
Gift Card Zen
Cardpool
Raise

CHANGES: 8/7/15
EBATES no longer giving the 1% back with RAISE. Switching to Swagbucks for the purchases at RAISE.

A few extra items:
Ebates to Raise does have a limit of $1000 for the life time of the account. I am WAY over that. Usually my purchase does not show and I have to send and inquiry “where is my ebate”. Do this via the APP inquiry. I have noticed they tend to get approved, where I have had some get denied when I sent it via the web. If I get denied, I have been waiting a few days and sending another request via the APP. So far even though I am over $1000 I have not yet been denied. I am going to switch over to Swagbucks for purchasing from Raise because it does not seem they have the limit. UPDATE: Ebates no longer gives any credit for Raise purchases. Switch to Swagbucks!

None of my Ebates to Target (for the Disney GC) purchases post automatically. Again I send my inquiries via the APP “where is my ebate”. Thus far all of my Target purchases have been credited. The small print does say no ebate credit for gift card purchases but it has not been enforced on my account yet. One could argue they are “entertainment cards”. When I look to my Target invoice the $50 GC actually say “Disney Entrmnt card”. UPDATE 10/8/15: I think ebates is catching on to us :slight_smile: Now I have started adding small items to the cart (clothing being the best results). With this additional item the credit is posting automatically to my Ebates account and I am getting credit for the full amount. So far this is working in a under-the-radar kind of way.

14 Likes

Nice explanation…this will definitely help a lot of people!

1 Like

Great info - thanks for posting!

1 Like

Here’s a flow chart that I put together based on everything we’ve discussed on the chat - because I was getting a little confused… Basically there seems to be several ways to get to a 15% discount, so this is only one option. Here s a link: http://bit.ly/1h1czI6 Please let me know if you find any errors in math or logic. :smile:

6 Likes

thanks @DisneyDazeDays for putting it into flow sheet form. Makes it easier for those of us who are visual learners.

As of this morning Raise is no longer showing a cash back option on Ebates.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know. I will update the post later today. Did you try swagbucks are they still active for raise?

Swagbucks still shows 1%.

1 Like

A step you might want to add, go to RetailMeNot.com and look for discount codes for Raise and Target. For example, today - Raise had $5 credit for new customers and Target had $5 off $50 purchase.

1 Like

I have been buying Target GCs on raise and will soon be ready to buy my Disney cards – does this have to be done online to get the 5% Red Card discount? I got one $100 one on Target yesterday when they had the $5 off code, but then they ran out and I’m scared they will be all out of Disney cards for the rest of the week (I need to add dining to our package before the 14-day deadline which is on Aug 19.

@zolagrif Yes it has to be online to get the 5% while paying with the gift card. I missed out on that sale yesterday and they were all gone by the time I tried to purchase. Hopefully they will be in stock soon. Worse case you can buy them at the Target stores but you will not get that extra % and will only get the savings % from your raise purchase.

Not a terrible WCS, but I really wanted the extra 5%!! LOL

@zolagrif Also just a tip. When I buy my target gift cards, I use them right away for two reasons:

1. avoiding fraud (the longer you hold on to them the more chance of them being compromised and the raise guarantee runs out at 100 days)

2. volume (you can only use 4 target gift cards at a time and only purchase limited number of Disney Cards) I already know I have to do multiple orders. Therefore, holding everything and doing them all at once does not appeal to me. I like to break them up over a few days to make it easier to track each package and to save my sanity.

Breaking it up over the year prevents me being in a crunch and them being out of stock. Plus it makes the pocket book hit seem less…although that part is just in my head! Good Luck. I hope they come back online soon. I still need a few for my December trip

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips!

I was thinking about combining them onto a $5 one that I bought myself, so that if someone tries to use the card # I bought, it wouldn’t work.

I am not sure that would help. If your cards were purchased with raise and still under the 100 days I would not tamper with them. Raise has a good warranty in place. If not it may or may not help. You might want to check out some articles on how the fraud happens http://www.lpinnovations.com/page/86-gift_card_fraud/. Here is one article I found. I put my Disney cards right into my DVA to prevent issues with
them. But I am likely a little paranoid!

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2014/11/18/how-to-avoid-gift-card-fraud-this-holiday-season

@zolagrif Target has the Disney cards back in stock!

Has anyone used Target gcs to buy annual passes for DLR without using dva? I’m a little uncomfortable with the limitations for withdrawals. TIA!

A few people have reported successful by combining their gift cards first on the disneygiftcard.com site and then using the large balance card to purchase. What limitation concerns you on the DVA? I use my DVA extensively and am pretty comfortable with it. The only limitation that gives me fits is not being able to use it for restaurant charges.

There have been a number of reports of fraud happening with Raise gift cards. I just wanted to let everyone know to be cautious and watch their credit card and raise wallet card balances carefully. I personally have experienced fraud. I have chosen not to stop using Raise because of the great savings overall and the guarantee. So far any problem I have had, they have made me whole. But I don’t want someone else get blindsided by this potential issue. I hope everyone is saving bunches!