Can we just be nice :)

I just looked at the forum for the 1st time in a very long time… Is it just me or the tone of some people’s responses so harsh?! This goes for chat too- if someone was speaking to you would you answer the same way? Personally no one has been abrasive with me. I know if they were my feeling would be hurt terribly. Am I way off? Gently let me know if I am :slight_smile:

1 Like

Funny (not ha, ha funny) you say that cause I was feeling the exact same way. I don’t want to seem thin skinned but I feel like some of the “liner” family needs a course in diplomacy. I’m thinking especially of the poor woman that posted about her husband saying he “won’t tip” she was reaching out to us and some of the responses were extremely harsh!

A few things I need to remember: Words sound more harsh when in text because they cannot hear the tone of my voice and that there is a strange kind of “strength” that comes when using social media, which in my opinion is not good.

In saying this I hope that I’m not sounding insensitive or uppity, I just wanted to let you know that you were not alone in your concern @HDN2WDW

3 Likes

I agree with what you said @EthicalAddict I felt that particular chat both of hers was rather harsh. I was part of the conversation, but tried to keep it tame, and not lash out at her, especially that it was her husband.

There have been some touchy subjects, but we should all remember what an awesome community we have and try to not let our ugly passions pollute such a great community.

4 Likes

I hadn’t noticed this, but then I am not familiar with the “Tipping” thread being referred to here. I don’t frequent the chat.

I agree! This is an awesome community and I love that (for the most part) we all look out for one another. I know “Lines” has been invaluable to me , both with the friendships I have made and the amazing WDW resources!

1 Like

Ha! Count yourself lucky that you dodged that fiery thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was going to say something here, but now I’m afraid that I might hurt someone’s feelings… :wink:

Too often these things start with someone misunderstanding a post and then it goes downhill from there. Like @EthicalAddict’s example of the woman who posted about her husband not tipping and people (presumably, as I didn’t see the Chat) treating her like she didn’t tip. Having worked as a waiter through college I have zero patience for people who refuse to tip, but come on folks, don’t kill the messenger who is reaching out for help.

5 Likes

Are you saying that the FORUM threads are harsh? I don’t see that at all. Chat goes crazy occasionally, but things stay pretty on-topic here. Banter among friends stays in the social threads, and helpful answers to questions is the norm everywhere else.

Regardless, people here have a variety of opinions and personalities, just like in the real world. It’s just a Disney discussion site after all, and participation is voluntary. I appreciate all the people who take time to add their opinions and answer questions.

9 Likes

Exactly! In the end the original poster had a good discussion with her husband, using some of the information that was provided to her from “Liners”, so I think it all worked out. Just wondering if there were any casualties of war :wink:

2 Likes

The thread example is actually from chat.

1 Like

Yes, I know. The OP seemed to be about the Forum though.

1 Like

Oh no! really? now I’m embarrassed! ha!

Don’t be! Maybe I’m wrong. I know I can be strident in my defense of the Forum.

1 Like

The forum is really a wonderful community, especially the daily threads :slight_smile: I love how we all learn about each others daily lives, forming relationships. Well done Sally! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I haven’t noticed meanness over here in the forums at all and I read pretty much all of it. Would you be able to point out forum threads that would have made you post this here, and not in chat? Is it possible that you are inflecting your own tone into them? I am just curious, as I don’t see it over here but maybe I am missing something.

3 Likes

It was directed at both forum and chat.

I agree forum is generally better, and there are no recent examples of forums where tempers flared, but chat, yes tempers do flare on chat.

1 Like

I was personally talking about chat - the forum is wonderful! Or at least that’s what I’ve observed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, Chat has always suffered from severe misinterpretations stemming from the character limitation, plus the rapid fire response rate which means that someone can get jumped all over before they have a chance to clarify.

3 Likes

That’s what I have seen too. Chat has always had hot topics that go off the rails, but haven’t seen that here.

1 Like

Thanks for all of your support on my post… It was geared towards both chat and forum. I personally look at chat more often but the ONLY forum post I read prior to my comment was a post from a mom who wanted healthier drink options to use with her refillable mug. The responses were crazy! I wanted to stick up for her but the tread was closed already. It could have been a very old post though. And yes I stuck up for the “non tipper” wife. Also, to be fair today was the only day I looked at the forum in at least 7 months and I only read that one. So the forum might be more tame :slight_smile: Have a good night.

2 Likes