Automated Cameras Replacing Photographers

It is being reported that automated cameras are replacing PhotoPass Photographers at locations throughout WDW beginning with the Tinkerbell meet and greet. I may be biased because I used to be PhotoPass, but this sounds like a terrible idea. I admit some photographers are terrible, but the majority of them have the ability to capture beautiful candid moments between guests and characters. I don’t think a robot could do that - plus what about positioning of the camera? What if there is a big group or someone who cant turn to face the camera (wheelchair or special needs)???

3 Likes

Oh no !!! That’s horrible !!! :frowning:

2 Likes

Well, no need to spend $169 this year, I guess. The kids and DH hate standing in those lines and smiling anyway.

:sob:

2 Likes

Sad, just SAAAAAAD. cmon Disney

2 Likes

I saw this earlier. They do this, I will skip MM and have the handler use my phone to take pics.

1 Like

Ha, you think they will still allow this? How will they profit??

They allow it now even with photopass photographers.

I suspect that means you get a single “everyone look at the camera on count of 3” shot. What about the other images that are usually captured? I have AP so I guess I will use whatever option there is. I will also take a bunch of pictures of my kids with the characters on my phone and then hop in for an official photo, slowing things down for everyone. Ugh. I prefer photographers.

1 Like

The best pictures we got are the ones that aren’t the posed shot but the cute interaction pictures.

2 Likes

That sucks we had great photos over the past 2 weeks but in our day at Universal saw loads of these photo stops … zero magic … shame

1 Like

I’m really against this. The candid photos from our last trip were my favorites by far. Along with all the other downsides I don’t think little kids will understand to turn to look at a box and smile for a box taking a photo. Kids know (and sometimes cooperate) when they see a camera pointed at their face, but I doubt you’d get even a smile if photographers are replaced with automation. Does anyone have a contact so we can voice our displeasure with this change?

1 Like

Just wait till they replace the characters in the M&Gs with animatronics!

1 Like

EXACTLY! This is not a good idea.

I think tweeting (aka public shaming) is how to draw the most attention to your disappointment about things like this. But there may be other ways that are good too.

1 Like

That probably is the best way, but I don’t use Twitter. I’m hoping this test run with Tink doesn’t work out well and they scrap the whole thing. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. This is a terrible idea. Even someone who isn’t a great photographer is better than an automated camera! I was on the fence about whether to get MM next trip. This makes me lean heavily towards “no.”

I picture being in line behind “that” family who takes 50 pictures. The lines will be horrible. Disney had to find the money for $15 an hour. And before anyone jumps on me, yes the CM deserved a raise. The money has to come from increased prices and less customer service.

Email customer service - WDW.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

1 Like

This is really a bad move. It’s a veritable photo booth. Not worth the cost I’m sure.

I hope I will be pleasantly surprised and proved wrong.

2 Likes