1st timers late start to accommodate awestruck kids

Thanks @NeedaTurkeyLeg. So question for you then… my husband and I have gone through the list of attractions and made a list of all the things we think our boys would like. Should we make a personalized plan or take one already made and just tweak it? Does it matter? I’m not sure how to schedule breaks, go ahead and put them in periodically? What if there’s a break but we don’t take it? I’ve been reading that it seems not to be a big deal if we are ahead or behind schedule, right?

Not that I have much experience with this, as it’s our 1st time, too (maybe others with more practice will chime in, too)…

We did exactly what you did: made a list of attractions we wanted to see. I tried using pre-made TPs and found it easier to do a personalized one.
So, this is what I did:

• opened a personalized plan for the park we were going to
  • gave it a name, listed our hours we planned to be at the park
  • went through the steps in the TP program (clicking on all the attractions we wanted, entering our dining reservations, entering our mid-day breaks)
  • optimized
  • made copies of the optimized plan (so I wouldn’t lose the original optimized plan while I played with more options)
  • played around with some other options on the copied plans by moving attractions around and evaluating
  • I did this until I found a plan I was happy with
  • at 60 days, I booked our FP+ for the times recommended by the TP

Whew! I think I covered all the steps I did. Really, it’s all about playing around with the TPs. Just make sure you make a copy of any plan you think you might want; otherwise you’ll lose it when you make any changes (I learned the hard way :frowning: ). The more you play with it, the more comfortable you become with using it.
Oh, and there is a sequence of video lessons on the TP site for making personalized TPs. It was useful to watch.

Good luck! - And happy planning!

4 Likes

Great advice, that is exactly what I would say. I am sure others can also give ideas on how to to it an other way as well.

Thank you - this is great. I needed step by step advice. :smile:

That feeling of meltdown is coming from an idea that you need the plan to be perfect. Let that go. :smile:

There are going to be things that go wonderfully. there are going to be things that don’t. The very fact that you are creating a PLAN puts you ahead of 90% of the pack. Once you see how smoothly things are going for your family compared to everyone around you, you’ll see how your hard work paid off.

Here’s another thing…this is your learning curve trip. You are learning how to tour WDW in 2015 and with your family. So…you get to come back again and correct all your mistakes and focus on the stuff your family loves even more!

Tell DH right now about the bounce back offer. It will be in your room in a folder and lets you book at a big discount maybe even free dining, if you book before you leave! Remember, you can always cancel for free, but you can only do the BB while you are there :wink:

3 Likes

@Gussy30 has given you some pretty good advice here. Also, there are step-by-step PTP instructions (with videos) at Personalized Touring Plans. Finally, check out Making Optimized Personalized Touring Plans with FastPass+ for a strategy for incorporating FPP into Optimized PTPs.

1 Like

Glad I’m not the only one feeling overwhelmed! I took my sons years ago and am planning a trip with my grandson this June. What a difference! No more plan as you go. Gussy30’s suggestions are great. I’ve been doing the same thing. You can also personalize several different plans at the same park if you give them different titles. I also downloaded the TP app and have been checking the current wait times. I know it’s not as busy at the parks right now but it gives you a good idea what rides will definitely need a FP.

2 Likes

In 2013 we went as a large family, mix of people who go alot, some of us hadn’t gone since 1999, my ds was 5 and it was his first time. We had him in a stroller and explained we were heading to a ride quickly but would come back later to slow down and look. (main street). Take some time to slow down when needed, especially with kids. Have fun

1 Like

Thanks for posting the link. I tried to describe it as “a sequence of video lessons” in my post above but I didn’t know the link. I found it helpful when creating a TP for the 1st time, so hopefully, keppert finds it useful, too.

1 Like

[quote=“keppert, post:9, topic:10361”]
And everyone has such definite opinions on how to do things and which parks are the best or take the longest or don’t need as much time. It’s hard to know how my family will feel and do at each park[/quote]

You’re absolutely right about this. Every family (and usually every individual in that family) has their own favorite activities in the parks and you won’t know what they are until you’ve tried them out. Your favorite attraction might be something most other people think is a waste of time, but it doesn’t matter if you like it. The first trip should be about finding out what you like and what pace everyone is comfortable with. If you are able to return, then you’ll be able to make better decisions about whether or not you’re going to be ready for rope drop every morning or what restaurants you’ll want to visit. For now, enjoy what you are able to do and see and don’t worry about things you don’t get to see or the inevitable hassles that creep into any vacation.

3 Likes

[quote=“keppert, post:12, topic:10361”]
Should we make a personalized plan or take one already made and just tweak it[/quote]

It doesn’t really matter how you start making a personalized touring plan, but I think it’s easier to just add the activities that I want rather than copying another plan and delete the things I don’t want (unless the other plan is almost identical to my new one).

The personalized plans are great for figuring out how much you can accomplish in a given time. It’s rare that you’ll do everything on your plan exactly the way you intended, but at least you have somewhere to start. You can also make informed decisions when a new opportunity comes along. For example, if your group sees a character you hadn’t planned to meet or decides to watch the Dapper Dans or jump into a dance party, then you can let your family enjoy that moment and reoptimize your touring plan after that is over (or while you’re waiting in line/watching).

1 Like

Thanks for all the tips. Really appreciate the support! As far as FPP goes, our window opens Thursday for the MK. I’m assuming each window opens subsequently?

Not when I’m in charge - DW and DD don’t call them “Nazi Touring Plans” for nothing :wink:

5 Likes

Keep in mind that @len has said, many times, on the podcast that touring plans are important but the key is rope drop. If you can get the family moving and make rope drop, you will have ample time to look around, figure out what you love and make The World your favorite place.

1 Like

If your FPP day opens on Thursday, you will be able to make FPP for all 4 park days at that time. You don’t have to wait and do one day at a time over 4 days.

@amyscherz, mine didn’t let me do that. My 30 day window opened today and I could only make FPP reservations for the first day we are there. :frowning:

If offsite you have to do Fpp one day at a time I believe.

That must be the case… thanks

Oh, so sorry! I didn’t realize you are offsite with a 30 day window. I hope I didn’t cause you FPP stress, and I hope the planning is going well.

I asked DH to change his adjective to describe our plans from Nazi plans to Ninja plans. :smile:

Although he quietly refers to our trip as a death march to his buddies :smirk:

1 Like